300tdi 2nd gear problem

Wanted help, advice. for L reg 300tdi

2nd gear v difficult to engage. Once in it stays in and drives fine. Have to push gearlever hard digonally down away from me.

This problem has been coming a long time. Got used to it at first as it was ok unless I tried to rush the gear change.

I fear a new gearbox is called for. Any thoughts?

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote in news:i15sc.6407$ snipped-for-privacy@wards.force.net:

Is it just a case of difficulty in getting the gear to engage? Could it be the external selector?

Both my 200Tdi (1992) and the 300Tdi (1997) that replaced it had gear change problems. The solution was to remove all the "carpeting", foam rubber sealer, etc. at the gear change lever inside the vehicle until you reach two springs either side of the base of the gear lever. There are two bolts that bear on these springs. By adjusting these, gear change can be made quite smooth...if that is the problem. Can't exactly tell you "how" to adjust them as I did it by trial and error. But maybe someone here can?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

On or around 23 May 2004 21:23:30 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

the springs on the top of the box bias the selector to the 3rd/4th gear plane. when you push the gear lever left to get 1st/2nd, one spring comes into play. the other does 5th (and reverse, on a R380). On an LT77, there's an additional spring which does the reverse position on the far left.

There are also stops either side to prevent the lever going too far over and a ball joint thing on the bottom of the lever. If the gearchange is sloppy, then I'd suspect that first.

The book says the following about adjusting the bias plate: slacken the bolts until the plate (with springs) is free to slide from side to side. Engage 4th gear, push the gear lever fully to the right, tighten bias plate bolts.

mine on the new toy could do with looking at - sometimes it misses the

1st/2nd slot.

on the LT77, there's also a reverse gear plunger to adjust.

Reply to
Austin Shackles