auto oil cooler necessary?

Hi, The metal pipe which connects the auto oil cooler (it's a heat exchanger with the engine coolant) has rusted and leaked so I just bypassed the whole heat exchanger with a piece of rubber hose (I know a bodge!!). Anyway after a few runs the pipe is warm/hot but nowhere as hot as the coolant so it got me wondering, is the heat exchanger really to 'heat' the auto oil and keep it a constant temperature?

Speaking to a college who owns a Jag he says that it's quite common for the auto cooler to be removed on many straight 6 jags as it's not needed in this country?

I'm think that to replace that pipe is a right pain and I might leave it like it is, but will I have problems in the summer? What temp does the oil get to in a typical auto box?

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

I must admit I've done the same in the past. Had the rad on a 2.8 Granada burst one Saturday afternoon in the middle of the Brecon Beacons. Pulled into a small garage, but they couldn't get a new rad before Monday, but found and old one out of a manual. I bunged it on and carried on fine - that was pulling a trailer with two donkeys in it all the way back to Northants.

Car seemed OK like that for the rest of the 20k miles I ran it for.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson