MOTs

Why is there no consistency between testing stations:

Last week had the s**te old 155 tested - failed on corrosion in the offside inner wing (there's a mud-trap behind the arch liner if it's been removed and not refitted properly), brake compensator valve siezed and some exhaust rubbers needed.

As I didn't have time to get this fixed by my usual mechanic and have a retest at the same place, I asked my mechanic to get it retested at the place he usually uses.

Obviously, it passed on the stuff above that had been fixed, but the new test added the following fails:

Excessive play and leaking from PAS rack. Emissions too high.

Now, since these tests are only 7 days and 200 miles apart, how come the

1st and 2nd tests are so different? - the rack has had a slight weeping for months now, emissions I can sort of understand if the car hasn't been warmed up well enough for the 2nd test......

I really don't see the point in MOTs if it's so much down to the testers own perception of a problem. The 155 is a nice, tidy, clean and solid car, but an MOT fail, I see some absolute sheds on the road which I'd assume have passed a test - surely it's time something was done to ensure consistent standards wherever you go for a test?

Reply to
SteveH

I'm no expert but is there a case for reporting this to the MoT? One of these geezers is wrong. Chances are that the first tester was less stringent, and should be pulled up for it. I *know* we all have times when we say to ourselves, "well I understand my own car, so it's really okay to pass my " - but this ain't good enough for the general public.

It's not even just about the difference between garages. My usual MoT place employs 2 qualified testers. The younger guy (35) is friendlier but more slapdash than the older guy (57). No real surprises there. After using them for 8 years I know by who does the test, what sort of a result I will get.

It pains me to say it (and has cost me in time and effort) but I much prefer the tough but fair approach. Example - the older guy will pass a misaligned headlamp (if I can fix there and then) if all else checks okay. I've got a buggered spring, he'll mark everything up. Seems a good approach to me.

Reply to
DocDelete