Autoglass Refunds

I've had to use Autoglass twice in the last 6 months, once for a new windscreen and then recently for a repair. They now seem to have introduced a new 'scam' whereby you have to pay your excess immediately for a new screen but are promised a refund if its repairable. I'm still waiting nearly 2 weeks for this refund. Upon querying the delay for the second time I was told that refunds have to be processed differently to debits meaning that whilst they manage to debit your account the same day it can take a week to put the money back, or 2 weeks in my case!

Ian

Reply to
Ian

That is scandalous. If they tried that on me, I'd simply refuse to pay and go elsewhere.

In fact, I'm having my windscreen replaced on my Stilo Abarth tomorrow, thanks to a bloody huge crack on the passenger side.

Needless to say, it's not going to Autoglass - their 'glass replacement line' was singularly unhelpful in arranging a convenient time. It's going to Auto Windscreens, who I've always found to be very good and helpful.

Reply to
Neil Barker

The message from Neil Barker contains these words:

Also, I find their telly adverts offensive. They're very close to implying that no one else can fit a screen properly which just ain't true.

Reply to
Guy King

Just something to bear in mind - after a radio theft a side window cost me £5 from a scrap yard and fitting was the same again, paying cash. No receipts of course. I even managed to claim it on insurance (I wouldn't recommend this as they always get the money back when you renew) by writing and signing a letter saying what happened.

These can be magic words: "is it cheaper if I pay you cash?"

Reply to
DP

Even new quarterlights for LDV convoys are ony £17 from LDV & they take about 3minutes to fit compared with the £50 excess. (I can't say I objected to £50 for my tailgate though)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Swings and roundabouts! A new quaterlight for a Calibra is £120+ vat (trade), and if you can fit one in 30 mins, you aint done bad. The £50 excess money is a good deal for the public, and is a reasonable drink for the trade.

Reply to
Fred

I can't fault the local service we get from Autoglass. I've not had any trouble arranging a time and they turned up promptly and did a good job. Seems its policy from above that is the problem here, not surprisingly.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

They actually turned up for you?

I've had to use them three times, and on all occasions, they basically refused to turn up.

The first and last occasion was with a bonded in screen, and their excuse was that it needed to be done inside, in a heated double garage.

The second time I needed a side window, and the excuse was that he was the only person in the office for the entire day, and couldn't leave.

Their advert showing someone replacing a Mondeo(?) windscreen at the side of the road must be a total lie then.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I used Autoglass (Belfast) a week ago and he didn't ask for payment until the job was finished.

I had a problem with their online booking system. Basically my request was ignored. I sent a letter off to the Managing Director explaining this and asking him to provide an explaination as to why this had happened. He was unable to do so, however was most apologetic, and claims to have spoken to the relevent people to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I was also contacted by the manager of the Belfast branch who explained that net and phone bookings are handled by a contract call centre, and the he reckoned there might be some problems there. He was quite annoyed in case he was missing bookings.

As for the service eventually supplied, I can't fault that. Arrived when they said they would and did what they were supposed to, etc. Even restuck the metal tax disk holder back on.

I'd suggest you write off to the Managing Director. If there's a problem with procedures in the call centre, the more people shout the more likely it is to get fixed.

Alternatively, if you can't be bothered (and at the end of the day why should you!) vote with your feet and use Auto Windscreens instead!!

Gary.

Reply to
Gary McClean

I booked a new windscreen, a few days before the appointed day and i hadn't heard anything I phoned autoglass. they claimed they had tried to contact me but couldnt?? Basically they needed some more details on the type of windscreen as there are a few different types. eventually they said they didint have it in stock, would contact all the depots to see if anyone had one, and if not would order one. Of course no depot had one in stock but this time I did receive a text to say it was now on back order with no ETA!! That was 2 weeks ago and they took my £95.00 insurance. Im not sure if I can cancel and 'shop' elsewhere or just wait for an indefinite time in the hope my windscreen arrives. its only a Hyundai Kona (2020) nothing special.

Reply to
Brian

Some relatively mundane pieces of glass are surprisingly rare.

I once had a Ford Escort in a strange green colour, with a slight tint on all the glass.

I had to wait for more than a month before anybody could find a replacement rear quarter light tinted in the correct colour.

I also recently had a replacement windscreen fitted by Autoglass (also £95) and found them very helpful and efficient so ...

Have you checked your junk email box ?

And, you might get a few more responses if you start your own thread, instead of tacking something on to a completely unrelated post.

AT

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Well I wouldn’t expect a tinted quarter-light to part of any company’s regular stock but we’re talking about a windscreen here. A Kona isn’t a particularly exotic car…

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

and a Ford Escort is even less exotic

but as I suggested earlier, you might get a few more sensible responses by starting a thread of your own

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Years ago, I needed a new windscreen. While it was covered by insurance, I enquired at the local main dealer ( the screen was heated and tinted, a Mk3 Escort Ghia) Their price was a fraction of Autoglass and they did it all but immediately. (I think 60% + cheaper)

The insurance company were a bit difficult. I assume they had a deal with autoglass which massively undercut the price the quoted me but they coughed up.

Reply to
Brian

The rear screen on my SD1 shattered some years ago. No idea why.

Was insured, and the insurance insisted I use Autoglass.

They said the correct colour one (bronze) was NLA. A pal in the trade found one in the Autoglass central warehouse. Auto glass said it was only for a Vitesse. (All S2 are the same, apart from colour and bronze used on several models)

They eventually agreed to have it sent. It was replaced at home while I watched. It was fitted bone dry using the old rubber seal (which is easy to get new)

Of course it leaked.

Had to take it do a depot. They agreed to fit a new seal if I bought and paid for it.

Wasn't allowed to see them fit it. But they scratched the paint badly in two places removing it. And it leaked again afterwards too.

Ended up paying a local company to do the job properly - as per the BL manual - using a sealer between body and seal, and seal to glass.

Bunch of absolute wankers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News