Awfull grinding nose

Why swap all that when there is no need? Swap the bolt if the threads are gone but I would doubt there is any need to change the rest. Obviously if the pads are nearly worn out then do them as well though.

Depends. Do you have studs coming from the hub with nuts to go on, or do you have bolts that screw through the wheel into the hub? If you have studs then you can typically press them through the hub and out the other side - refit a new one the same way. If you have wheel bolts then the thread inside the hub may be damaged as well in which case you need to swap the hub and that'll mean unscrewing the driveshaft/hub nut which will be very tight.

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

Northern Motors in Orpington(?) once failed to tighten the wheelbolts on a company Astra I had when they serviced the rear brakes.

A few sharp words were exchanged when they denied even having taken the wheel off - which contradicted their invoice.

Reply to
Guy King

Fortunately it's not that common. More common are garages, tyre fitment places, that overtighten the nuts. Get a puncture and you can't undo the nuts with your wheel brace, which is one reason why I always loosen them, then retighten using my torque wrench. OTT for most but when it comes to tyres, wheels and brakes, I don't think there's such a thing as being too fussy. As I said earlier though. Loose nuts are easily avoided by going round the wheel bolts with the cars wheel brace. Using just that, tighten them as much as you can. A 5 minute job and you never need to worry about them coming loose again. If you feel like it, remove one nut at a time and lightly coat the thread and taper seating with Copperslip. Stops corrosion and avoids any chances of the nuts seizing. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

With only 2 nuts loose, the chances are that the threads are undamaged. A simple check is to remove one wheel bolt from another wheel, noting how much play the bolt has in the thread of that hub. Then try that bolt in the suspect wheels hub. If the play is similar, I'd say the thread in the hub is undamaged. If the bolts themselves look OK they can be reused, but a safer option if you're at all unsure, is to simply fit new bolts. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

i got a bad vibration. came loose after a few miles, the car was a FSO Polenez, i drive it off a cliffe once on ice, actually hanging over the edge on te outskirts of Sheffield. Damn scary. Wont bother with all the details but once dragged off next day no sign of damage, but a few weeks later while doing 50 down a dual carrage a mass explosion and the prop came loose at the gbox end and ripped clean thru the floor touching the jeans of the chick in the passenger seat and just missing mine, would have been legless if another inch or 2. big marks on the road too, couldnt have dug in like a pole vaulters pole and maybe flipped. being pulled off the cliff caight the metal/rubber joint weakening one corner. v v v fecking scary.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

never used it myself, jsut heard about it. interesting

Reply to
JULIAN HALES