Battery chargers

one smart charger could be left permanently connected and would keep the batteries at 100 percent (anytime you plug into the mains)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Problem with me is I'm an old fashioned git. This means I'm comfotable with seeing an ammeter tell me something more than just an LED does. I would also say, re this particular charger, I don't know whether it's meant to be smart or not but I noticed that when the first battery I charged with it became full the ammeter showed no current. So I felt this was a good thing.

Reply to
cryptogram

A decent modern smart charger wouldn't go to zero when the battery is full. It would change to what's known as a maintenance charge - a tiny trickle charge which will keep the battery in peak condition. A simple ammeter won't show that.

The best way to charge a standard lead acid battery at normal domestic rates - ie not a vast and expensive fast charger you might find in a secondhand car dealer for quickly starting a car - is at constant current. If it is designed to charge at constant current, no real point in an ammeter.

Not to say there's anything wrong with your charger - just, I'd say, a rather old fashioned design which costs more than is necessary these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I always assumed that was what the ammeter did - showed the amount of current. And when it drops to about zero, the charging was near complete.

Nowadays I use one of those Lidl chargers.

Reply to
RJH

Yes - they're brilliant devices. As I said, actually charge a battery faster than my large and heavy Halfords one which claims 11 amps.

BTW, if you do get a problem with it after a lot of use, likely to be the select button failing. Although only seen that on an early one which looks slightly different from the current ones. And I found a replacement switch (tactile switch) on Ebay for pennies. But you do need to make sure you get the correct one dimension wise, as there are several made.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I modified an ex ICL computer 5v stabilised psu, to 12v nominal, and used that for many years, it also had a crowbar cut-off in case of a short circuit.

Reply to
Gordon H