Battery query

I wonder if anyone would have had any dealings with

and if so, how did you find their service?

The reason for asking is that I need a new battery for a 1600, Kia Ceed diesel engined car - for which the main dealer quoted around £159. [1]

I have looked at a couple of local motor factors and been quoted a price of between £75 and £95 respectively with the above named firm coming at £64 (including next day delivery and a 4 year warranty).

I would be grateful for any constructive replies that would help me to make up my mind as to buying locally or go for the cheaper, internet price.

[1] It was a good job that I was sitting down at the time as that price totally gobsmacked me - in 50 years of driving, that's the highest car battery price I have ever been quoted - gasp!

Many thanks

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I've bought from these people in the past and been very satisfied.

Can't make any promises though. (No connection whatsoever)

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

battery prices have doubled in about the last five years. A bosch for for a petrol astra is now about 65 quid, most bosch diesel batteries are about the hundred mark.

I buy Bosch batteries from Costco, recently I had a couple that died in the cold weather, just in case they were still in guarantee I took them back, one was 6 years old and the other 8 (looked up on their computer record of my purchases) Bosch guarantee is 4 years, but they gave me a full refund of the purchase price !! How is that for customer service?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I would see it as commercial suicide but it's their choice I guess. Perhaps you've got an extra special smile ! ;-)

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I do go there a lot, know many of the staff and repair their cars. But I do know from others that their customer service is exceptional.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Shouldn't that be covered by their 7 year warranty?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Thanks for the replies - after doing a little more local price digging, I think I will try the online firm.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Not that bit of the car unfortunately Tim - I did try!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Hmm, just a 2 year warranty on the battery I see. That seems more than a bit poor given the life I've had out of all my car batteries.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

never had a Ford? or a Toyota/Lexus? or Honda? They all have very long lived batteries. The Ford ones are generally lasting at least 8 years, Yuasa as fitted on most Japs last even longer, 12 years for at least one that I know of for certain. Even abused Bosch ones can last 6 .

Reply to
Mrcheerful

2005 Micra, same battery. I will always buy Jap.
Reply to
Mr Pounder

I've had my current '97 BMW from two years old. Got the balance of the maker's warranty. Just out of warranty, the battery failed. In a big and sudden way. Started the car in the morning - apparently ok and drove to the shops. Wouldn't start there. Dash lights etc went out when I turned the key. Never known such a sudden failure before.

Could only find a Bosch to fit - Halfords didn't list one. The Bosch looked identical to the BMW badged one. So I'd have preferred a different make. ;-) But I bought it and it's still fine. Longest lasted battery I've ever had in mumble mumble years of motoring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tim,

My car is on the 07 plate and the battery is the original - I don't suppose I can complain too much about its life!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I agree Dave, I had a Bosch battery on my last car and that lasted for just over 6 years before showing signs of old age.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

On Wednesday I was talking to a work colleague who bought my 206 HDi off me

3 years ago. He was contemplating buying a new battery as cold starts were becoming a bit sluggish. I had the pleasure of telling him that on the car was the original Fulda? battery which is on it's 9th winter and 170,000 miles.

Previous record was an 89 Fiesta 1.8D battery which did 8 winters before being retired.

Reply to
Doctor D

If you do the maths, mine is pushing 12 years old.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My 04 Volvo V70 diesel is still on it's original battery, and 217,000 miles :) Still starts as quick as ever, I think i'll get another year or two from the battery yet!

Reply to
Alan Deane