Finger tight.

Not quite as sexy as it sounds, but...

Can anyone tell me if there are any definitions of how tight "finger tight" or "hand tight" is? How does it relate to a torque reading - surely we've all got hands of different torque? ;-)

Whilst I'm here, has anyone got a recommendation for a small torque wrench - one in the range of about 5 Nm to perhaps 25 Nm.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste

NO, badly, yes.

They're pricey as you only tend to find decent ones, Norbar SL0, Britool AVT300A if you're feeling flush, there's a teng one if not.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I thought we all measured in BSGs?

(British Standard Grunts....ie. 'tighten to 2 grunts')

Reply to
Steve H

OK, cheers.

Reply to
David Paste

Argh! But what's your grunt threshold?!

Reply to
David Paste

99% of the time, it really doesn't matter.
Reply to
Steve H

Three. Loose, Tight or... Broken.

Tighten it to Broken and then back it off a bit, say 20%.

Reply to
Adrian C

I knew there'd be a trick!

Reply to
David Paste

Fair enough. The reason I was wondering is because of the possibility of warping delicate things like plastic or thin metal parts by over- tightening them. Don't fancy that.

Reply to
David Paste

For "Finger Tight" I always do it up to about to 25 lbin then undo a fraction. Say 2 degrees. It's bloody anoying when you have to get pliers on a battery wing nut that should have been "Finger Tight".

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Indeed, however, I managed to snap mine!

Reply to
David Paste

Inch pounds - not foot pounds.

Reply to