Battery warranties

Does anyone have experience of claiming for a battery under Halfords' three year guarantee? If it's showing signs of giving up, do I need to wait until I'm stranded somewhere or how does it work?

Reply to
Mark W

"Mark W" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You could... ring... Halfrauds... and ask them...

Reply to
Adrian

next time buy bosch: 5 year guarantee

Reply to
Mrcheerful

OK! Meantime I wondered how flat the battery has to be, or would the retailer just, like, take my word for it that it's on the way out?

Reply to
Mark W

the usual procedure is that you take the battery back, receive a loan battery while your one is tested. They may even just test it on the vehicle, if it is well charged but underpowered that will show up on the tester.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They'll test it with an electronic tester. These give a good indication of the state of the battery regardless of charge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you take the car to them and ask them to test the battery, they're bound to tell you it needs a new one. *Then* tell them you bought it from them, and would they change it please, simultaneously producing the receipt with a flourish.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I'd say even the Halfords droids could read the large Halfords label on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

However that's precisely what I did with the car that had a Halfords battery in. I pointed out the date code on top that was only 2 years old and it was swapped no receipt.

Reply to
Chris Street

And of course they don't sell only their own brand.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Only point in buying a battery from Halfords - if there is one - is the value of their own brand. Other makes will be cheaper elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

bosch battery for a petrol fiesta 41 quid inc. with a 5 year guarantee

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Presumably you get trade from Halfords?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even with a trade card Halfords are so useless and expensive I would not go there unless I absolutely had to.

As you may remember I buy my Bosch batteries from Costco, I agree their range is limited (and they didn't have the one you wanted) but they have the commonest sizes or something that will fit on the rest most of the time, plus of course they never argue about taking things back.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Indeed - but for some the convenience out ways this. I've bought a couple of Halfords own brand batteries in the past and found them fine. Other thing is the decent motor factor I used to use - Cannons of Clapham - has moved to much smaller premises much further away. A sad loss.

Sadly they don't have the correct size for either of my cars - and the nearest one is about a 2 hour round trip. I was thinking of trying them for tyres for the BMW - needed shortly - but since they are 15" probably something else they don't keep.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

let me know the size and I'll check whether my one keeps them, they certainly have plenty of 15's in general. They will also get in any sizes they don't have in a few days.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A mate of mine had what he thought was a dodgy battery on his Z3 and whilst at Halfords getting other stuff he noticed a sign offering free battery check so he asked for one and the guy how did the test said it had a duff cell and the battery was one of there's so he checked and found it was less than three years old but my mate didn't have a receipt but they changed it anyway.

Reply to
Trevor Smith