Bent bumper

Someone in our house (guess who - not me) reversed our Mondeo into a brick wall, hitting the back of the bumper about a foot from where it curves to go forward. I thought it was just one of those things but in fact the flat top of the bumper now rises slightly at a point about a couple of feet from the centre of the car and the tailgate touches it when opening. I've tried banging the bumper down and have succeeded in getting it to clear the tailgate - and also breaking off some small internal plastic clip in the process. However, it needs to go down a bit more and it's springy. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I can restore its horizontalness - or should that be horizontalicity or horizontalitude?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

There are big foam blocks behind the bumper to absorb impacts. I expect they'll be mishapen now.

Reply to
doki

Yes, I expect so. However, it won't take much to hold down the top surface of the bumper (it needs to go down about 1/4 inch) but I can't think of a good way of doing it other than a self tapper - pretty unsightly. If I could get the bumper off easily I might be able to hot-melt glue the outside to the inside. How do you get them off?

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

To remove the bumper take the car and her indoors to a busy supermarket car park. Park the car yourself in the tightest space you can find. Then let her indoors reverse it out - should have the bumper off in no time!

Reply to
Ian

This was part of the original problem!

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

heat it up and bend it back into place keep it bent apply the heat remove the heat let it cool down :)

Reply to
dojj