Best Direct Inj diesel family car for £3K ?

...just waved bye bye to my 10 yr old Audi 80 TDI and am looking for another decent but cheap direct-inj-diesel on a budget of circa £3k ( 4-5 yrs old )

1st thoughts go to another Audi/VW TDI but they are so god damn expensive. £3k only gets you something thats not much newer then my old L-reg. The ones that go cheap are always dodgy.

2nd there's the Pug/Cit HDI cars that are just falling to the above price bracket. I'd prefer a 406, but would settle for a Xsara/Xantia if they were top spec

3rd there's Renault's 1.9 Dti in the Laguna & Megane. I've never onwed a Renault so would welcome anyones experience of the DTi engine.

Apart from Ford/Vauxhall, can anyone recommend any other cars eg:-

- Never owned Japs but willing to try

- How about the Fiat JTD cars like the Brava/o & Marea?

- What about Rover 600 or Volvo S40 ?

Suggestions please for a 50+mpg motorway cruiser up to 5yrs old

Thx

Reply to
Ebodski

Okay, here goes my 2p-worth of comment (it goes a long way.)

The VAG-group cars always hold their value. I'd probably avoid them unless you can find someone who's just won the lottery and wants to get rid of theirs very cheaply to make space for their Rolls.

I'm not too sure on the HDi. I drove a C5 with the 1.9HDi and it was really very nasty. The 307 OTOH, was pretty good. I guess it's all down to how well it's geared and whether it weighs the same as a house that counts in this area - the 110bhp may be better.

Can't really comment on this, as I've never driven a Renault diesel - nor a decent Renault with a petrol engine either. Perhaps the good ones already have homes...

The 1.8TD Ford lump in the Focus is average. Not great - I wouldn't buy a car with it. The new 1.7TD Astras, OTOH, I think are very nice. Much better than the Ford[1] and, if they had come down in price a little more I would have chosen one.

I can't think of that many diesel Japanese cars as they've (AFAIK) only gone down that path recently. If their petrol counterparts are anything to go by, though, they're probably a good bet.

Never driven one, but have been sat behind a few. You'll need good windscreen washers as all the ones I've seen chuck out hideous amounts of black smoke - yes, the new ones!

Pass. Don't know anything about those in diesel form.

Based on the list, I'd go for the Astra. Maybe a little boring, but the estate version I drove had lively enough handling was pretty quick for its class and wasn't too dreary inside. Oh and the seats were a thousand times better than those in the same type of Focus!

[1] Bear in mind that this is all subjective, relating to stuff I've driven and that I'm sure some people are readying their flamethrowers. To them I say: Don't bother, I already have my asbestos underpants on.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

I've heard the Astra is as numb as it looks, but fair enough, the question was about price/ecomony/age.

I think you mean the 1.7 DTi, so I'll watch out for this one.

Anybody here know the difference between the 1.7 & the 2.0 ( besides

300cc's ) The reason I ask is because I thought GM had various diesels i.e. some by Isuzu some by BMW etc etc
Reply to
Ebodski

When did PSA knock out a 1.9hdi unit eh?

TBH honest the 2.0HDI as fitted to most C5's sold is a very good unit based on the old XUD 1.9td unit. The ride is much better than similar priced cars but the C5 im sure isn't in this bracket, the Xantia with the HDI engine is however with much ease, especially at auctions ive seen. don't be frightened by high mileage ones as long as they have been serviced on time and have had the cam belt done before PSA recommend then you cant go wrong. When the HDi lump was fitted to the Xantia though all of the problems they had with the car had near enough gone and the spec list had been made pretty high to help shift the last ones before C5 arrival good luck and chose wisely as some will have had a hard life but they are easy enough to spot anyways :)

Reply to
Will

I knew the HDI was a 2.0 but wasn't going to be splitting hairs

My other car is a 1.9TD Synergie-SX 1998-S. I wanted a HDI for that but the price was too high when I was looking last Summer.

I wouldn't mind the Xantia but its a bit odd looking. If I found a leather trimmed 110bhp exec then I might be tempted. I thought Xantias had dodgy spheres for rear suspension though.

Regarding auctions, I live on the M62 fringe and commute from Manchester to Leeds daily. I've been to Brighouse auctions once or twice but I never find any 'bargains'.

Can anyone recommend any good auctions that Joe Public can bid on ?

Reply to
Ebodski

I've heard the ones at Haydock have some good deals now and again, and have you thought of ebay? and rear spheres aren't hard to do at all! Just got to make sure you have equipment so you can get access to them, and they are pretty cheap as well.

Just look around I would say as the best bargains jus pop up in the most unlikely places! I bought my car from eBay as the owner thought the steering rack had gone and it had no MOT, cost me £320 and the tie rod ends and some other bits and MOT cost me another £100 or less, and ive only just had to get a new Gbox, Clutch and driveshaft for it all for £300, bargain motoring considering other than insurance and tax that's all she has really cost me for a year of motor :)

Reply to
Will

Rover 400/600 Diesel - great economy and good performance too. You could easily get a top spec one for that money and the L series diesel will go on to 300K+ miles without complaining

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Yes, we've got a 420Di and it's quite nippy. Made me change my views about diesels a bit, although it could be a little quieter IMO. The older 86bhp "D" (ie without the "i" - does that stand for intercooler?) models are probably a bit slow, but it shouldn't be hard to get a 106bhp model for 3 grand.

BTW, did Rover develop the L-series in house (from the T-series?) or is it based on a Honda engine? Parkers reviews say the Accord shared a diesel with Rover.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

My A80 TDI cost me £2200 3yrs ago. I've done 50000 and only needed to do the belts and usual services. It only costed me a few tyres , some discs & a rear caliper ( few hundred tops ). I just got a £grand for it from some kid who'll probably clock it ( I've put the genuine mileage in the V5 so I don't give a monkeys' )

But you are right about uninformed people who panic if their car is nearing its MOT and theres a few clunking noises happening. The problem is thats often on the 8yr old cars that I'm trying to avoid.

I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled whilst the wife has to get used to doing the school 'walk'... lol !

Reply to
Ebodski

Only reason my cars often need repair as I make sure I get my value for money from their bits ;) and the petrol I put in lol

Reply to
Will

The PSA HDi lump is a corker although the 406 really needs the 110 bhp version. My old company ran both and the 110's were not only massively more lively, but a tad more economical to boot. If you don't need all that space, go for a 306 HDi. My brother in law has a T plate model and it's lively, smooth, quiet, and easily capable of 50 mpg.

The Focus is a lovely car, but the 1.8 TD (TDdi) lump is an old dog that should have been retired years ago. Actually goes OK and economical too, but rough as a bear's backside. And I'm a Ford fan! In the Mondeo it's quieter, but totally gutless. TDCi (Peugeot design) is much better but you won't get one for £3k

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

Isn't it based on some old Perkins lump?

Reply to
deadmail

I remember reading that the Montego diesel engine was based on the O-series with a head designed by Perkins, and it was the first "small" direct injection diesel car engine. Being the first of its kind it was noisier and smokier than its rivals.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

23rd October 2001. The bloke with the sandpaper got bored whilst smoothing the cylinders and went for his tea break 10 minutes early. Next question! :-)

You'd have regretted it.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom Saul

Yes it's Rover's own. I think its roots stemmed from the perkin's prima diesel. The Intercooled versions are the ones to go for as they go like stink :) They are a bit rumbly at idle and low speed, but at cruising speed they are very subdued - and sitting at peak torque ready to fire you into the back of the seat should overtaking be required...

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Yes, diesels do have that advantage in performance over petrol engines, you don't have to change down and rev hard to accelerate. The 45s and MGs are slightly more powerful, I don't suppose they have a more modern injection system that makes them a bit quieter? Although great for a

5-year-old car, I think diesel technology has moved on a lot since then with common rail etc. The 75 and MG ZT diesels have more powerful, very slightly smaller engines, BMW's previous generation AFAICT. The latest 320d's put most 2-litre petrol engines to shame!
Reply to
Tony Houghton

But more efficient/economical, and IIRC, had better power.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

It was developed in house by Rover from the 'O' series (which the 'L' series was derived from), and is no relation to the Perkins Prima (also developed from the 'O' series).

When it came out in 1995 it was (in my opinion) the best 2.0 litre (or there abouts) diesel engine on the market in terms of the power / noise / economy compromise. Things have moved on a bit since then, but there are still worse diesel engines on the market.

-- James

Reply to
James

It's derived from the 'O' series from which the 'T' series is also derived.

Honda never bought the rights to use the 'L' series engine in the Accord and Civic, they had an engine supply deal with Rover (i.e. license implies made under license where Honda never made an 'L' series engine).

-- James

Reply to
James