Bit of a pong from Mondeo heater

A neighbour has been asking if I know what the smell is coming from her heater blower. I don't know why she should ask me, but as I knew this ng existed, I said I'd ask in here.

It's an R Reg 1.8 Mondeo with AC. She describes the smell as a burning smell that comes from the heater blower, whether it is hot or cold and whether the AC is switched on or off. Of course, she's worried that something might set on fire. To me it smells more like anti-freeze on a hot exhaust, but I am far from being an amateur, never mind an expert. There are no signs of a leak anywhere, either on top or underneath the engine, and no wet carpets.

I know it's very little to go on, but anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thanks.

Reply to
Curls

The heater fan resistor pack and associated wiring has burnt out, Ford dealers sell the resistor pack and a wiring repair kit, quite straightforward to fit and cheap. The bits live in the side of the heater accessed from the passenger footwell.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks!

Out of interest, what does the resistor pack do? Everything appears to be working OK. And is it easy to fit?

Reply to
Curls

The problem is that it works rather like a little electric fire, it puts an element in line with the heater fan so that the speed is reduced, on full fan speed no elements are connected, on low speed all elements are. The wiring connectors are actually the problem as they are not up to the heat and power transmission needed. The new wiring is easy to attach into the existing wiring, most people fit it using crimp connections or choc blocks or soldered on, your choice, all are about equal, just depends what you have available.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Job done. Thanks again.