BMW 3 series (E90) - emergency boot release (2023 Update)

The emergency release was mandated in the USA so that kidnap victims or children could get out. Legislation caused by a one woman crusade by Janette Fennell

Reply to
MrCheerful

Note the "connect new battery" (or put it on charge). To obtain better balance (aiming for 50/50 front/rear) BMW put the battery in the boot on many models.

There has also been a trend with cars that have the battery under the bonnet, starting from late 90's, to mount the battery nearer the bulkhead behind the front axle. Having the battery in what was the conventional location hanging out in front of the axle adjacent to the slam panel gives it maximum leverage and front weight bias.

Scrap BMW's are a go to source for cheap battery re-location wiring for Nissan 200SX and any other tail happy RWD cars that have the battery in the conventional location.

Reply to
Peter Hill

replying to jackdan, M Lilley wrote: Have found any solutions to this problem as I'm going the same thing also with the passenger side fog light reverse and boot lid lights out really quite annoying

Reply to
M Lilley

Don't suppose you have found how to fix this I have the exact same problem

Reply to
dudleykenard

MrCheerful

Can the switch be put back in place tho

Reply to
stephentouhey8

Even if you did have the optional (£400!) folding seats, it wouldn? ??t help, as you can?t fold them from inside the cabin.

Reply to
italiancar

?t help, as you can?t fold them from inside the cabin.

I was able to reach through the centre access hole and release the fold dow n seats, you need long arms, but still unable to release the boot catch.

Reply to
surftragic46

replying to russellharden69, Martin wrote: Did you manage to sort your problem Russell as I have same problem now, I think my work bag strap has caught in the locking mechanism and now will not open. I have same symptoms of faults showing on fog and reverse lights not working and have fixed seats with no boot access. Please help .

Reply to
Martin

Hi Chris I have exactly the same problem. Battery is disconnected and boot got closed. No key hole. How do I open the boot? Any help would be much appreciated regards Sarguroh

Reply to
sargurohshoeb

Anyone manage to figure this out, i have a UK 59 plate E90 with the boot open & foglight failure message.

Reply to
rpbartlett

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 12:26:05 AM UTC+2, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

unable to release it both with the remote or the key, at the same time I h ave a failed reverse light and brake light both on the boot passenger side. The dash warning system informs me of these faults although it states the boot is open.

a light or drilling a hole to access the lock, any help would be very welc ome.

I have the same problem Russell!! How did you sort it out?

Reply to
gerrit.coetzee

MrCheerful

I have a 2011 BMW 328Xi. My trunk was not opening for a couple of weeks. I researched various bimmer forums and most people were saying the valet swit ch in the glove box could be switched off, the actuator would need to be re placed etc etc. I tried all those things but my problem was not recalled. F inally, I took my car to an experience bmw mechanic and he knew exactly wha t the problem could have been. The electrical wiring harness that connects to the trunk had snapped. It is a common issue according to him and happens with wear and tear. BMW was too stingy to give a couple of extra inches le ngth to the harness because of which the wires snap. $80 and my issue was r esolved in 45 min. These DIY forums are good but nothing beats an experienc ed mechanic who specializes in European cars. Hopefully this helps someone.

Reply to
rohitgandhi007

It's the flexing of the wires that cause them to snap. Common on other models too. But may depend on how frequently the boot is used.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi, that can be a failing REM which is responsible for all electronic from the rear windows going backwards. I have the same problem I still pulling hair from my head wondering who sort it out for me. F30 316i

Reply to
boledisekgala

TAKE OUT NUMBER 7 FUSE.

Reply to
178parkfarm

JACK DID YOU MANAGE TO GET INTO YOUR BMW BOOT LID IF SO HOW I HAVE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU

Reply to
BINGA