Damp BMW boot

I have a 320d 03-plated BMW. It seems to be accumulating damp in the boot and starting to smell.

I reckon there is a tiny water leak somewhere.

There is always significant condensation up in the two rear corners behind where the boot lid hinges bolt in. Also, if you were to place your hand palm upwards, with your thumb pointing upwards, and rest the base of your thumb against the rubber surround of the boot opening, as you run your thumb along the rubber seal then your fingers sweep through a covering of condensation. So all the upper underside of the boot lid and boot opening is damp or wet.

Of course there could be a multitude of reasons why this is happening. But is there a known weakness in some BMW boots? Is this a known problem?

I have checked the apparently healthy rubber edging/sealing strip around the boot opening at length and am as sure as I can be that it is not letting water by.

Also, there appears to be no dampness in the bottom of the boot, or the sides except right near the top. There is no water swilling in the spare wheel cavity...it's bone dry down there.

So, any bright ideas anyone ?

Many thanks

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

A leak in the rear window?

Reply to
Tunku

Well it certainly isn't cracked and the only moisture on it is sometimes just about the vents coming up from the boot area (not surprising really!) I did wonder if it is possible for water to seep in around the edge of the rear window somehow, where it should really be sealed on, and then weep into the boot area ?

Reply to
Jeff

Other favourites are arount the tail lamps. Have you had a lamp out or has the car had any bodyshop work at the rear?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Nope, done that. Took the backs off the tail lamps and they are absolutely dry inside. The foam seal around the bulb panel is very damp, but that is from the moisture outside of the lamp housing. No bodyshop work shown in the full service history.

Reply to
Jeff

Time to take it for a jet wash then. Give it a damned good wash and aim the jet around the areas that you are suffering condensation from the outside. It is of course preferable to have someone inside looking for water droplets.

Reply to
Dave

Ahahh, so that's what my children are for ! ;0)

Reply to
Jeff

Don't forget to remove them from the boot before you drive away. Unless they have been particularly naughty of course!

Reply to
SimonJ

That is a "favorite" and, with some rear end designs, the water from around the channels that from the boot edge is directed over the light clusters. The design of the clusters generally seems to stop the water getting into the cluster but not behind it. If the cluster is of the type that allows you to change a bulb from the boot (rather than removing the cluster) this often means there is an easy root in.

If you decide to "put someone in the boot", fold down the rear seats and get them to crawl in. Otherwise someone will see you and phone social services ;-)

I'd not use a jet wash, that may force water where it wouldn't normally go and have you chasing phatom leaks.. A watering can is more representive.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

The design of the clusters generally seems to stop the water getting into the cluster but not behind it. If the cluster is of the type that allows you to change a bulb from the boot (rather than removing the cluster) this often means there is an easy root in.

Thanks for that, I'll check it out. Keep the ideas coming though everyone!

Reply to
Jeff

Have you just picked the car up, or have you only had it for a little bit?

It is possible that somebody has stored something wet in there - dead body they found in the woods maybe? - and you have a little leak. Since the boot isn't heated you might just be getting condensation.

It may sound a little... unusual but if your watering can test proves inconclusive, I'd suggest drying the boot out. You may achieve this by a combination of driving with the rear seats down and getting some of that crystal silica cat litter and putting it into a container, ensuring it won't escape, and leaving it into the boot.

My four foor Accord appeared to have a damp boot problem and I couldn't find the leak, so I decided to dry it out properly then look. After I dried the boot out... no more damp problems...

Reply to
DervMan

I've only had it 3/4 weeks. I keep wiping down the boot but the condensation keeps coming back. And I haven't been able to get any sun in the open boot as it keeps pouring with rain!

Yes I did wonder whether it was existing water, but couldn't seem to find any at the bottom of the boot. I had considered using something hydroscopic, your cat litter suggestion sounds good. I'll give it yet another wipe down and try that, thanks.

By the way, how do I get the back seats down ?

Reply to
Jeff

The short answer is, "dunno guv" but you may find a clasp at the top of the seats or, perhaps, it's impossible to lower the seats. Does it have leather?

Reply to
DervMan

There are probably some inconveniently placed catches under the rear shelf on each side accessible from the boot side if it has nay at all. I guess the idea is you lower the seats when you want to put stuff int he back but I alway shave to go into the car anyway to pull the seats down once they've been released. FWIW I wouldn't buy a 3-series that didn't have fold down seats.

Reply to
adder1969

Another thing to look for: Check for a blocked drain hole in the lower corners of the boot. (get under the car) My Audi A3 would do this once in a while- there was a drain path behind the trim. If the drain hole got blocked, the bottom of the rear quarter filled up with water. If it rained a lot, it would literally fill up to a point where it would mysteriously overspill into the spare wheel well. Taking the bung out resulted in a good pint of water running out, and cleaning the drain bung meant it was OK for a good year again.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Hmmm, interesting...I take a look. Ta :0)

Reply to
Jeff

Does it have a sunroof? if so, check to make sure the drain channels are not blocked, blast them with an air line.

Reply to
ThePunisher

[...]

Excellent!

Reply to