BMW E34 Light Control Module..

Getting quite good at taking them apart and soldering the dry joints..

Just had to do the missuses for the third time in 18 months because the headlamps would just go out. Surely they're not all that bad?

Reply to
Conor

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com, Conor decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

They are that bad.

HTH

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I didn't say a word. I'd just like to make that perfectly clear. I did not say one word about fabled German build quality.

Reply to
Adrian

German quality, innit.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah well. Got it down to 10 minutes now but I reckon next time I'm gonna have to take all the solder off.

Reply to
Conor

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

*I* resisted temptation, Steve...
Reply to
Adrian

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. First time, you can blame BMW (or Bosch or whoever) - after that? It's not *their* fault... It's the muppet that soldered it last...

Reply to
Adrian

Like shooting fish in a barrel. These BMW owners are just asking for it ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Its because the damned things get so hot. Was thinking of drilling some holes in the case to let some heat out.

Reply to
Conor

Yes. Simply gobbing more solder on isn't the way to go where a joint has failed if you want a long term fix. The old should be removed, and the parts cleaned properly.

Use a solder sucker first followed by de-solder braid. Then clean. A fibreglass 'pencil' (Maplin etc) is ideal for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)