BMW Mini Cambelt

What's the recommended mileage for changing a cambelt on a BMW Mini? I reckon anything over 50K miles but opinions welcome. Having looked around car showrooms at the weekend I saw a lot of them for sale with 50K or 60K miles. Perhaps the cost of changing the belt is prohibitive? Anyone know what sort of job it is?

Jerry

Reply to
PSOE

No idea, but I was speaking to an AA man today about a water leak on my car, he told me he had been called out to a leaking BMW Mini last week, he got underneath it, saw that there was a leak from the radiator area, but couldnt see where it was coming from with any detail, he said there are so many panels and bits in the way, that there was no way he could attempt a fix at the roadside, it was an inside the dealers job, and promptly towed it to a garage. But maybe that is true of many cars nowadays - having to strip off the front end before any decent access to the engine is available. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Its a chain on the 1.6 Tritec engine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Bit the same as the original Mini, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that, I did wonder. Is that the engine used on the 1.6 Cooper? And do chains last the life of the engine?

PSOE

Have you seen under the classic Mini, then, as Dave says?

To a point, yes, more so the smaller machines since there's less room to fit the electronic packages.

Reply to
DervMan

Yes. essentially same engine.

I've not heard of any cam chain issues with this engine (yet- I dont know of any that have done 90k+) but as with all chains, long life only comes with clean oil, changed regualarly.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

PSOE ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.jet.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mini One and Mini Cooper used the same lump, Chrysler-sourced.

The New-New Mini uses a different lump, BMW/PSA joint venture.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah, but at least most things can be fixed by the roadside if you have a few decent tools! When the alternator belt went on my Elf, the recovery man fitted one by the road. When it went on my Hilux Surf he didn't even open the bonnet, just recovered me home (where it took about three hours due to the lack of access and having to remove other bits - bigger car, more space under the bonnet but it was still harder to work on!)

Reply to
Chris Bolus