brake fluid in eng9ine

Yes, guess what, I lent my car to my son in law for a week, and then I discover that he's in-inavertedly added 1 litre of Break Fluid to the engine !!! Then drove all the way back from Birmingham to here (Margate), suddenly realising that he picked up the wrong container from the boot, as he has unloading his luggage.

I have just about calmed down, and I have just changed the oil (bloody freezing) . He didn't notice any noises or lose of drive while driving home. I just hope he hasn't lessened the engines life !

Argggghgh !!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Ian Watson

It'll be fine. Things don't wear that fast .

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I hope so !

Reply to
Ian Watson

Step on the engine and see if the car stops. (Sorry) ;-)

Reply to
John Woodhall

Your son in-law could have just kept his mouth closed and said nothing. Telling you about it must mean something about his honesty and lessen the blow somewhat. Perhaps a flushing oil would remove any traces from oil seals etc. If I recall correctly, brake fluid caused normal seals to swell.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

I'd have thought if you need to keep oil with the car for topping up purposes, the engine hasn't got that much life left anyway?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You've never had an Alfa 156 1.8 have you?

-- James

Reply to
James

Or anything that's ever been near VW

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No. And I can't remember when last I had a car that couldn't do a day's driving without needing oil. It would fail an MOT anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Change the oil and filter - hopefully no damage done

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Well mine needs a top up every 600 miles. & that passed it's MOT easily.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It goes from 'full' to 'empty' in 600 miles? How much oil does it take to top up?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Not quite that bad - but you can go from 'max' to 'min' in around 1000 miles. Which is one of the reasons Alfa have a poor reputation for reliability - there's a lot of numpties out there that don't check the oil between the 9k miles service intervals.

Reply to
SteveH

A litre.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

My '84 SD1 has a low oil level warning - not that it ever needs it. So have my last few BMWs. Oh - and the one Bentley I ever owned - made in '57. If you make an engine which 'uses' oil, I'd say it makes sense to fit one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yeah - I don't understand why it's missing these days. My 75 has a level light (currently permanently lit due to a duff sensor) and a pressure dial.

Unfortunately, it seems that manufacturers are constantly dumbing-down their cars, and stuff which I'd say is pretty vital to monitor the health of the oily bits is now being missed off. (Hence the number of cars out there with only a light to tell you the car has overheated, rather than a gauge)

Reply to
SteveH