britannia rescue v.s AA/RAC

Away from home, diesel Focus cut out suddenly and I saw that the temp guage was off the scale. No water. When engine cooled down as fast as I poured it in, it poured out from bottom back left hand side of engine. Called Britannia. Guy came, said that it's the water pump, I'll take the car to a local garage (where it will be till Tuesday).

  1. do these symptoms sound like it's the water pump?

  1. if I'd belomged to the AA / RAC, would they have fixed it at the roadside?

TIA,

I Podius

  1. yes sounds like a water pump.

  1. theres no way you would get that done at the side of the road by anyone !!!! its bad enough doing one in the workshop with a ramp & all the equipment.

Reply to
reg

  1. Quite possibly.

  1. Not if it's the waterpump.

The AA have a policy of limiting roadside repairs to one hour. A lot depends on the individual patrol's workload and attitude however. Patrols are also monitored on a monthly basis against a complex set of standards which include fix rate and jobs completed. Offset to that are recoveries, because they are expensive! To some extent the service you would get may depend on what other jobs the patrol had dealt with that month.

IMHO AA/RAC would be more likely to repair rather than recover when compared to other breakdown services. Not everyone will agree with that however!

At least you had some cover!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Err, they don't just suddenly go up that quick. Do you ever check what speed you drive at?

NOOOOO. You must never do that. It cracks heads.

No. If it can't be fixed in around 20 minutes, it goes to a garage. A water pump isn't something they can do as it also requires a cambelt change.

Reply to
Conor

It's a 2-3hr job....unlikely.

Reply to
Conor

No chance, if you were with the AA (depending where it happened) you would still be waiting! in Central Scotland a wait of 4 hrs is not unusual especially at night. I work for breakdown garage and work for Britania (and all the rest except AA chucked them for taking the piss a couple of months ago!!) to be honest Britannia have one of the better rates and we end to prioritise their jobs!

Don't forget to get the Timing belts changed at the same time most of the labour is paid for!

Reply to
Dieseldes

Err, if the water pump failed in such a way that it suddenly caused the engine to dump it's entire coolant load, then the engine would overheat in less than a minute.

No it doesn't.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

What's unlikely?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Conor reading what he's replying to.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Doing the repair at the roadside.

Reply to
Conor

No, that's you actually thinking you ignorant f*ck.

Reply to
Conor

It doesn't dump it that quickly nor does it dump all of it. It'll settle at a level just below the waterpump.

Only if you're a cowboy.

Reply to
Conor

It dumps enough to cause what's left in the system to be ineffective at cooling the engine, and it does this at a very rapid rate. Engine overheat ETA? Less than a minute from when the coolant has drained.

Perhaps if you knew what you were on about you'd know these engines don't run the water pump from the cambelt.

HTH

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Perhaps if YOU knew what you were talking about, you'd know that the Diesel Focus doesn't HAVE a cambelt...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Oh I think 'you ignorant f*ck' every time I read your posts.

You might want to learn some punctuation.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Cam Chain on the Focus DI engine...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Perhaps if you didn't get involved in things you don't know about, you wouldn't of just made a total fool of yourself.

1.8 focus's do have a cambelt. It's a nice short one from the Injection Pump to the Camshaft. And I'm sure the newer 1.6 PSA engined ones, also have a cambelt.
Reply to
M Cuthill

You sure? I'd heard that the 1.8TD DI in the pre-TDCI Foci was the same as the "Endura DI" engine as in the pre-TDCI Fiestas, albeit in a slightly different state of tune (90 vs 75PS) - commonly known as the Lynx engine. And that variety of engine in my Mk5 Fiesta certainly had a cambelt. Didn't drive the water pump though.

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Ehhhhh. Incorrect again, foolish one.

Focus TDDi and TDCi run a BELT from the injection pump to the OHC. I suggest you put your spade down anytime now.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts