Bucklet bonnet: won't open

2001 Micra. Just run into the back of someone this morning. Driver side headlight is smashed and bonnet is buckled. Cracks to bumper.

I can't open the bonnet. Pulling the bonnet release lever doesn't spring the bonnet open and I can't pull the bonnet up high enough to get my hand under to release the catch.

Any tips?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
bruce_phipps

"bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oops.

You're going to have to get physical. The slam panel and/or bonnet is/are clearly bent enough that the main catch isn't releasing.

Get whatever's left of the grille out of the way, so you can see the catch, then try to unbend it into a position where it'll release.

Reply to
Adrian

If you're going to want to take it anywhere for assessment or work, you might be best to leave it closed, because it's unlikely you'll be able to close it again ! Just a thought.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Yes. Its firmly closed at the moment. The headlights work OK, just the front glass/plastic is shattered. Do I need to replace the whole unit? Plan is to get headlight + bumper from a scrappie, as I have 3rd party only insurance. Mike

Reply to
bruce_phipps

"bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Probably.

What about the bonnet and slam?

If you were fully comp, and planning on claiming, you'd find that it's almost certainly a write-off anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry, I meant to say bonnet. A bit of insulation tape will fix the bumper. Do I have to report a prang like this to my insurers, as I am not claiming? The Direct Line website is pretty vague. Mike

Reply to
bruce_phipps

It's best to. I've never found it affected an insurance premium, but at least they've been told and can't turn around on your next claim.

Reply to
Doki

First thing I'd try is to get someone else to pull the release lever while you attempt to pull the bonnet up by hand. This will work if it's only just bent enough to prevent it springing up, but not enough to jam it completely.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke
[...]

It seems pretty likely that the person you ran in to will be claiming however! Even if there was no apparent damage to their vehicle at the time, they should tell their insurance, who will query it with yours.

If you fail to report it, you would likely be in breach of your policy conditions. You may then be liable for any subsequent claim from the person you hit.

Get on the phone! Now!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

What prang?

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Sorry, I was forgetting about the person you hit. If they're going to claim, it's going to be off your insurance, so - yes - you will need to tell 'em.

If they're not claiming, it didn't happen.

Reply to
Adrian

Incidentally, do you think it is worth scouring around loads of scrap dealers, trying to get the exact same color of bonnet (metallic green). Or should I go for the easier option -- a two-tone car. Mike

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Another option: a brand new unpainted bonnet is 90 quid. How much would it cost to this resprayed metallic green in a back street paint shop?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
bruce_phipps

When my dad had his 1993 Audi 80 front end caved in by a mad vicar, insurance wrote it off and gave him £700 + the car back. Local breakers charged me £100 for bonnet, grill, lights, bumper & radiator and local paint shop £200 cash for spraying the red panels & bumper back to metallic green . Think we also had to pay for a vosa check as well.

Reply to
Redwood

"Redwood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Depends on how the write-off is classified. If it's Cat D, then no Vehicle Identity Check needed. If it's Cat C, it will.

Reply to
Adrian

It was definitly the class that needed the identity check. Heres a couple of pics of the before & after my repairs (before the paint job was done). Personaly I prefered the 2 tone colour but that's dads for ya.

Redwood

a lot more than going to any scrapper that has a few micras in, they always seem to have a metalic green un along side a few red ones,

Reply to
gazz

Nice work - and you got it done pretty fast as well, by the date stamps.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor