Camshaft change?

Since i can't get a resonable (priced) replacement engine for my 1.1 ferkin Fiesta, i'm considering pulling the engine out and replacing the lobeless camshaft, truculent tappets and probably the "stretches r us" timing chain. Has anyone any personal experience of this proposed undertaking?

Any things i may need to know, or wrinkles would be gratefully recieved.

I would just leave it be - but the embarassment of sitting at traffic lights with what sounds like a legion of farriers assiduously banging away at their respective anvils is prompting me otherwise!

Ta muchly.

Reply to
picker

To replace the entire car would most likey be a fraction of this price. Get the same model again, and then he's got a donor for spare parts (except the engine of course).

-- The Dervboy

Reply-to address is valid as required by my news server, but is a spam box and is never read. My real e-mail address is thedervboy{at}btopenglobe{dot}com (substituting "globe" with "world").

Reply to
DervBoy

For not fully reconditioned read - painted up and re-sold, in the hope that the punter does not notice any problems until the warranty runs out.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Bugger me! I was thinking of having a fiddle with the top end to shut it up at some point. I might just run the thing until it explodes then swap the engine.

Reply to
Doki

Yup, and the advertised 300 quid usually ends up being 500 with the essential 'extras'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Doki writes

Tappets are only a 20 minute job on the Ka and may indeed make it run quieter and prolong the life of the engine. Of course if you prefer to buy a new engine.........

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks Bill, i have changed lots of engines and gearboxes in my time, i really just wondered if there were any "hidden" problems to watch out for.

Reply to
picker

But is it only tappets, or cam wear as well? And can you change the cam with the engine in situ?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

You mean it hasn't got hydraulic tappets? Thought all cars had these days

- even Fords. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

You say "these days" but don't forget the engine traces its roots back to the Ford Anglia. Oh and my Focus has got bucket and shim adjustment which gets checked at 100,000 miles.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yes, but I thought it now had hydraulic tappets?

There's less need on an OHC design. Fewer things to wear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

No it's still got conventional tappets.

Indeed.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Have you ever done this ? Which company did you use and what happened ? In my experience (TW motor factors in the 80's) , the cheap recon stuff is a complete waste of money - if you dont believe me, tot up the cost of the parts alone that need replacing and then compare with the asking price. Then cost out degreaser and some paint plus a nice mark up. Now, which do you think happens, a proper rebuild or a degrease and paint ? If the later, can I sell you some land when the tide is out....:-)

Reply to
sro