Car breaking

Best way to get a guestimate would be to look at cars with identical engines where they changed from carbs to injection. Jag XJ6. Ford Capri. Etc. You'll need some old mags. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, so I now understand as I think Adrian got there first. ;-)

Ah, and that was a follow up question, thanks. To the fuel is squirted into the inlet port and just sits (vaporising) there till inducted (induced?). ;-)

No, I can see how it might not.

I'm guessing because it's easy to do and it gives better granularity to the control at little extra cost, they might as well?

Ok.

Ok.

And you couldn't have got that same result re-mapping the original system? Or maybe you could, 'had you been able to' etc?

When my mate 'worked' (quite heavily) on his Mk2 1300S Fiesta (I think I remember it being) (Tuftrided, blueprinted, flowed, stage 2 cam, balanced pistons and rods, 5 speed box etc etc) it could be made to squeal in the first 3 gears or driven gently, gave a good few more mpg.

OOI Dave, have you ever come across the Open Source FI solution, DIYEFI?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[...]

It depends on the carb.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The Lucas injection is analogue and can't simply be remapped like digital (or rather some digital) There are some who modify it - but in a pretty crude way. It relies on measuring the airflow into the engine using a precision device. Very expensive to make or to re-condition to spec when worn. And they do wear out.

Looks like nothing added since 2010. There was a UK company doing counterfeit MS designs. But they got stopped, and rightly so. Not sure if this is them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There is a pretty sophisticated late SU design with ECU control over warm up mixture and idle speed. Worked extremely well - but rather complex for KwikFit to fix when old. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, cheers Chris, at least I know I'm not going mad. ;-)

I think I can remember having SU's on the Morris Minors and apart from taking the auto-choke off the Autocraft carb on the (Company) Sierra, fairly soon after getting it (new) and apart from that, the only other car I've had where I've played with the carb is the Ford / Weber on the kitcar.

I've had loads of bike carbs to bits though, most of them having more carbs per bike than most my cars. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks for the reply.

No idea, only came across it earlier and wondered if it was commonly used alongside MS etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

TBH, fitting a return really isn't that hard. Just a banjo bolt fitted somewhere low in the filler neck, plumbed to the fuel pressure regulator at the exit of the injector rail. That's it. The hardest bit is running a piece of plastic pipe from engine bay to fuel tank...

They're normally clamped in by the feed rail - the injector's push-fitted to the manifold, the rail push-fits to the injector, then bolted to the manifold. Them injectors ain't goin' nowhere.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, but only into the port, on the outside of the valve.

Different carbs do things differently.

Reply to
Adrian

The engines I'm considering, that's all covered anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

I would have thought that a manual choke was better for mpg than an auto choke. Once moving you push it in as far as the engine doesn't object and only pull it out to raise idle if you need to stop. An auto choke tends to stay on much longer but works even with idiots that don't know how to use a choke knob. (and can't hang handbags / curries on it)

The primary driver for sequential port injection is emissions. By timing the port injection to when the valve is open and air flow is near peak there is less fuel "drop out" (atomised fuel drops turn to liquid fuel on port walls and flow as liquid though valve into the engine) and thus lower unburnt HC emission. Injection engines don't have the exhaust heated "hot spot" in the inlet to boil liquid fuel into vapour.

Reply to
Peter Hill

After market ECU's are not cheap.

What is the cheapest most fully "hacked" ECU? Many OEM ECU's have been hacked and programs are available to re-tune them - many use flash roms so wouldn't need rom boards and programmers etc. As they are series production the scrap yards are full of them at around £25 (if they are dearer than that it means they are dud and in high demand). Loom, injectors and all sensors could also be collected from same source.

V8's may be bit more of a problem as not so common. Just rip the old engine out and drop a quad cam Toyota 1UZ in.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Interesting thanks (and 'ouch').

I was thinking on what has been said here so far and wondered if the sort of setup I might be able to use would be something out of our old

93 Astra 1.4i Being FI it must have had all that was required for that but not sufficiently 'modern' to have all the extra addon stuff? I don't think it had an OBD port which might help support that 'simple' thought (along with a dizzy on the end of the camshaft if I remember correctly)?

Ok.

Hmm, not sure the Escort underpinnings would take the ~250 HP Peter. ;-)

I think I quite like the idea of being able to build (assemble) my own ECU because then that means I should be able to repair anything on it in the future. So, whilst it might be a bigger initial investment it (something like MS) might be easier to mod / interface than some sealed black box?

Realistically it would probably be better (ease and cost) is to just get the 1600 rebored, a bit of 'economy' gas flowing, a new carb and dizzy and what I save (in time and money) over trying to go FI will probably pay for all the petrol we might use till we die. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Agreed.

Yup, we still do that. ;-)

Including some MOT stations ...

Hehe.

But doesn't that only happen when the engine (or intake tract past the injectors) is cold Peter? I can't imagine petrol staying liquid for long when on metal at ~100 DegC?

Ah, that would explain it then ... other than on my 'crossflow' where the inlet and exhaust are of different sides? I can't remember if the inlet manifold on the Kent has a water heated (/cooled) inlet manifold?

I think a 1300 engine out of a Ka would be the ideal thing but it's designed to be transverse and so a whole load more complication.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Emerald certainly ain't. Difficult to compare like for like, but the MS2 I was suggesting would be fine for Tim costs approx half. About 400 quid new. But I'd go for a used one at about 250.

I'd doubt there are any factory ECUs which you can get free tuning software for (like MS) Once you've loaded that in your laptop or phone, you connect to MS and get access to every single parameter.

And could load in a new map in a few seconds.

Most MS have a serial port. Some also a USB port. If you don't have a serial port on your laptop (most don't these days) you use a USB to serial adaptor. That is the limit of the hardware needed to communicate between laptop and MS. You can also add adaptors to use Blue Tooth etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is precisely why it appealed to me. Others who find the whole idea terrfiying might well find it easier to pay someone to do what they want.

The problem can be with those who'd like to have the whole job done for them, but can't or won't afford it, so decide on DIY for the wrong reasons.

If you do it because you want to and enjoy such things, you'll find it immensely satisfying. And then bore everyone on newsgroups about how good it is. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite.

Sure, although there are times when things that should be straightforward (and so doable by yer average person) turn out (often for rare / unpredictable reasons) to be nigh on impossible. I'm sure we have all advised someone on doing something that should be easy (for them and their given skillset, not 'easy' as such), it not worked, we have looked at it (expecting to find they have missed something trial (to us)) to only find it is something much more than we have seen ourselves?

Agreed, within limits. A good example of that is me and Linux. I've been building, installing, repairing, updating and maintaining PC's since the 80's, and have installed and maintained every OS from DOS to W10 and some other stuff (OS6-9, X, Netware, CPM, OS/2) inbetween.

When Linux installs 100% on the hardware I happen to have then everything is ok (at least from a 'running OS' POV). When it doesn't, little of that experience (that was both commercial and domestic) over all those years helps very much at all.

Why? Because most of what you need to be able to fix Linux issues is 'programming' / the CLI and that's not something I've done much of at all over all those OS's and years (for good reason it turns out). ;-)

I have more recently done some programming on the Arduino but much of it is plagiarising existing code and missing and matching it to do what I need (and often with more error than trial). ;-(

However, the very thing that forces me to keep trying to code the Arduino is because I like making stuff do stuff so a 'home made' ECU would be right up there for me.

I'd take talking the minutia of a d-i-y ECU far more 'real' than any Brexit stuff! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m