car pulls to the right

hi, my ford escort pulls to the right when you let go of the steering.i checked the tyre inflation and they are all equal.

i read some posts here suggesting swapping the front tyres.now the car swerves to the left! i cant see any defect in the tyre. also now i tried deflating the right tyre a bit to see if it will stop pulling to the left, but it still does.

what could be wrong with the tyre? is it likely to be the tire or the rim?

thanks

Reply to
beerismygas

have you checked the tracking ?

are the brakes binding ?

Reply to
Robin

Are both tyres the same make? I'm guessing they're different makes with completely different tread patterns, which can have the effect that you're having. Look at what tyres are on the car, and see if there are two identical tyres and put them on the front. If there's not any identical tyres, have a look at the tread patterns, and try and find two that are similar.

Another thing to check, is that all the tyres are the same size.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

If the tread still level across the tyres? Might be caused by bad tracking scrubbing one tyre and you've swapped them over causing the worn one to show bias to the other side making the car stee towards that side.

Reply to
Taz

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (beerismygas) saying something like:

Later Escorts are sensitive to tyre characteristics, I've found. The tyres might be perfectly legal and undamaged, but one has more rolling resistance than the other.

Only way I found was swap them over, as you did, and if that didn't work was buy an identical pair for the fronts. I found cheapy tyres were more prone to exhibit this kind of behaviour.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon