Car ran out of oil and conked out, how to revive it?

Ferrous is £50/60 a ton now since China bought up all the world's scrap iron and steel and pushed the price up. Aluminium is about £500/ton. You can find prices on Google. I've got an old Sierra on the drive and in the last month I've had four scrap dealers knock at the door offering to take it away for free. I think it now pays enough to make it worth their while driving around residential roads looking for old cars to collect. Not that long ago they charged for collection and maybe took them for free or gave you a few quid if you trailered them to a yard.

I do sometimes wonder what it is that the Chinks are making with all this scrap. Probably cars and car engines for their huge and rapidly becoming more affluent population. As long as it isn't bombs and tanks. Mind you if they take Bush out with those I wouldn't complain.

Reply to
Dave Baker

There's no way I'd weld up a broken block that ran at over 1000 rpm (and I'm not bad at nickel rod arc on CI). If I cared about maintaining alignment, I'd either fix it cold myself or get the Metalok bloke to do it. Maybe if it was irreplaceable, and I could line-bore it afterwards.

No - that's JB Weld.

Oyltite looks like some dreadful confectionery sold to small children, that they've then left in a coat pocket over winter and has turned into squidgy goo. No strength to it at all, but it's sticky, bendy, and nothing ever leaks past it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I drove a V4 Transit (what else !) over the M62 once. There had been clutch trouble, so clearly the crank endfloat had gone all wobbly.

Pulled the engine and the back end of the crank fell off, still attached to the flywheel ! It had sheared right across, but at enough of an angle to act as a "dog clutch" and keep it going.

I _hated_ that engine. A real thorough piece of crap and Ford's excessive "production engineering".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

come on mate i know uve fallen in love with ur car, but its knackered, jus dump it and buy another i run around in a fiesta, collecting engines and transporting them about i have no problems and its only a

1 litre, thanks, Martyn
Reply to
Martyn Butler

In message , Andy Dingley writes

I've still got half an Oyltite stick from my RAF days. It must be about

20 years old but once in a blue moon it gets used to seal a fuel leak.
Reply to
Paul Giverin

: In article , Wayne Brown : says... : : > How easy would it be for a mechanic to give an estimate to repair the : > engine? Major strip down, or simpler than that? : > : FULL strip down and inspection as well as measuring the little/big : ends, bores etc.

Might be esier to drain the oil and weigh the swarf that comes out with it. To the nearest ounce should do.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Peter A Forbes saying something like:

It's on-topic for ukres - his engine isn't going anywhere.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And the pikier ones aren't even bothering to ask.

Last year one of the XM-list guys lost his lovely BX 16v, laid up for winter, to a truck with a claw so even if it had been recovered, it was dead. Last month, a CX was dragged away, I can't remember if it was working or not, but it was taken when the bloke had nipped out for a few hours.

Beware, if you have an old project car. Seems to be a SE problem mainly.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick