Car Tax (Yes, a silly question)

I'm considering changing car to (wait for it) a fuel-guzzling v6 coupe - nice eh? (Oh, alright then, a Hyundai 2.7 coupe)

So I've been looking at the car tax brackets - odd really, as none seem to agree with each other.

If I buy a car producing over the 225g/km of CO that was registered before end February 2006, will it join the mythical and expensive £400 car tax bracket in 2010 or will it stay in the £220 group ad infinitem?

Every website I've seen seems to disagree with the others - which one really contains the truth?

Many thanks

Reply to
Brad Thrust

Should stay in the same group ad infinitum the same way pre-2001 cars=20 have on the =A3185 a year and pre-1972 ones have with zero rated.=20

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

If it is after 2001 and pre-2006 it will go up a little, but the big jump has been postponed. But it should have a large jump to if it hadn't been postponed.

Parkers seem to be the best for car tax rates.

Elder

Splendid - so even in 2010 my pre-March 06 car will cost only £245 to tax? I'm in business!!!!

Many thanks

Reply to
Brad Thrust

Who can say what will happen in 2010? All any of us can say is that it's OK for now.

Reply to
asahartz

Las time I checked the info on the official web page it said that it's going to be permanent, but parkers said it was uncertain. I guess if they postponed it now, it's because it was too unpopular.. so probably would be even more unpopular in 2 years time to start charging old bangers 400 quid a year ? Simon

Reply to
mr p