K Plate Carlton Diplomat - Electrical problem

I have a K plated Carlton Diplomat Auto, started OK and drove fine for about twenty minutes, pulled onto drive and left the car running for about five minutes when she died - Turned off and tried to start but no go, completely dead. Jump leads out, started her up drove round for about the same length of time and the same happened again. Any help appreciated cause I'm stumped, hope its something real simple

Reply to
Just Me!

Battery dead?!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Reply to
Just Me!

Engine earth strap?

JB

Reply to
JB

Reply to
Just Me!

Engine block to body. My first 1.8L was on the nearside but the later 2L was on the offside. I've also come across one which was connected from the bellhousing to the body.

HTH,

JB

Reply to
JB

Hi Tim

By dead do you mean it won't turn over

Is it an auto ?

there are 2 quite common fault, well I think there common as they happened to both of my Carlton's.

There's a fault with the gear selector inhibit switch which won't let you start the car when its in gear, this sometimes fails when it gets hot. Easily overcome but not necessarily cured by shorting out a connector on the bulkhead.

The other is a problem with the feed to the coil and auto gear box ECU there is a connector which fails that's just above the engine on the bulkhead. This is easily checked by looking at the check lights when you turn on the ignition. If the sport light doesn't come on when all the other lights go through there check routine then you have a fault probably with the wiring.

Just my two pence worth, but cost me a great deal more to find out....

Cheers Pete

Reply to
Peter Wedlake

thanks all will take a closer look when I get back home, yes Peter it is Auto and at the moment when I turn the key there are no lights at all, but yes all lights come on and go off ok when connected to jump leads then after running for about twenty minutes everything starts going haywire, have tested the battery when running and its getting plenty of charge but if run for twenty minutes and this fault occurs the its dead no lights no nothin. guess I'll just have grit my teeth and book it in for a diagnostic - :o(

Peter Wedlake wrote:

Reply to
Just Me!