Cavalier starter problems... part 2

Ok, I was just about to start stripping the starter off to have a look on the ench when we managed to get it started, we've discovered the trick is to only turn the ignition key a couple of mil rather than all the way & it starts like a dream! Turning it fully just gives a clunk like it's not getting enough juice. The only modification I can see is the auto choke has been replaced with a manual, very recently by the looks of it, can't imagine that could have an effect though? As it's going ok now, I'm just intrigued to find out if anyone has an idea of why?

Ta :)

Reply to
Robin W

Duff ignition switch! My wife's mk 2 Astra had the exact same problem. Got one from a breakers for a fiver.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

Aah, it all makes sense! Having had 3 Cavs in the past and not comer across the problem, I was thinking it might have been some interesting electromechanical phenomena, but, upside is I know where to lay my hands on a barrel immediatly..... shame it hasn't got any keys ;)

Reply to
Robin W

Just realised a bonus about this, cheap immobiliser for those that don't know the car ;)

Reply to
Robin W

Your switch is knackered?

As you turn the key, the solenoid becomes engaged, but as you keep turning, the juice then is cut off, so the solenoid disengages.

Try finding a new ignition switch in a scrappy, or take a look at the one you have.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

You don't need to change the lock barrel. The switch just clips to the back of it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

Take care though....my wife's started smoking (the ignition switch, that is) leaving me in the middle of town with one screwdriver to replace the unit. Fortunately, we had a dealer around the corner who sold us his last switch....not a pleasant experience really.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark Pate

Hmmm... good point, I will get round to replacing it, but it'll have to wait a little while so it's fingers crossed time!

Reply to
Synaptic Flow