CD-radio vs. cassette-radio

Here is what my Nissan main dealer quoted me for a replacement:

Sony radio-cassette (or radio-CD) = £95 ISO lead = £11 Fitting = £33

I could get cheaper elsewhere (or if I fitted it myself), but its not too horrendous a quote for a Sony unit. Halfords charge £35 fitting.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Don't buy them from the High St. I got a Sony one from Dabs.com for £20 less than Argos.

Reply to
Conor

A good soundcard will work as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Vinyl is only used to be scratched. So it's used by kids with aspirations to be a DJ or some git at the back of the band that throws everyone else in the band off beat.

My 20 year old nephew and 16 year old niece don't even understand that the needle goes in a groove.

Peter Hill

That's not my AWE 64 then is it? I always seem to hear hiss / odd quiet bleepy noises on soundcards.

Reply to
Doki

FWIW, Sony car CD players sound terrible IME, and the cheapest one is £50 or so.

Reply to
Doki

The message from "Angus Manwaring" contains these words:

My problem with car CDs is that I borrow books on tape from the library

- and as yet they don't offer them on CD and copying eight tapes onto CD is more than I CBA to do.

Local library's got some great books - and it beats The Archers or some inane DJ farting on. I'd listen to Classic FM if it weren't for the adverts. Anyway - we often drive through the valleys in Wales and are doing Cornwall later this month - and the signal on FM is dreadful but LW has the bloody cricket on.

Reply to
Guy King

I don't use a PC, so can't really help, but if you ask on , there's a guy called Arny Krueger who has a site with loads of info and reviews. I thought I had it bookmarked, but can't find it.

I produce CDs from analogue sources using my old Acorn RPC with an Irlam sound card, and they're more than satisfactory. However, the connection between the soundcard and my main sound system is properly engineered, and this can make quite a difference.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No contest. CD Radio every time.

I have just upgraded from a Blaupunkt radio-cassette to a Pioneer DEH 3500MP CD/MP3 player with radio (cost £60).

1) CD's are so much better quality 2) With MP3 I can fit 10-12 albums on each disk (who needs a disk changer) 3) 12 CD's fit under my sun visor, out of sight. Leaving my glovebox free of tapes. 4) Again. Sound quality is just superb.

/Heds

Reply to
Hedley Phillips

I have just upgraded from a Blaupunkt radio-cassette to a Pioneer DEH 3500MP CD/MP3 player with radio (cost £60).

Where did you get your new toy from? Been looking for a new one to replace the faulty CD player in the wife's car and that sounds just the ticket.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Good reasons, Hedley. Thanks for your reply.

On a more pessimistic note, are CD-radios more "nickable" then cassette-radios?

OFF TOPIC: It says something about the UK today when I even have to consider asking such a question prior to buying something for the car!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

I think you are assuming way too much intelligence on the part of the average scrote who has it away with car stereos. I lost a minidisc player from my last car - the market for these must be tiny. It wasn't even a particularly good one.

They'll probably nick anything as long as it's not got valves in...

Reply to
John Laird