Changing front brake pads for 1.8I Zetec

Hi. Could some body tell me how to go about changing the front brake pads for a 1.8I zetec ford mondeo. I have changed pads in other cars but never attempted it in a mondeo before. If the person can just give me a basic run through, that would be very helpful. Cheers

Reply to
phijee

remove wheel, remove old pads, fit new pads, fit wheel - on both sides. The same as the other cars.

Reply to
simon

In message , phijee writes

Make a note of how the spring clip goes before dismantling. Use a camera phone to take a snap of it. You will need a good 7mm allen key or allen socket bit to use on the sliding calliper pins.

Take the opportunity to clean the pins and bits of the calliper that the pads slide on. Unscrew the brake fluid cap before pushing the pistons back into the calliper to give room for the thicker pads.

Some people advocate a very light smearing of copper grease on the BACK of the pads to help stop squealing. Go easy on the new pads for a couple of hundred miles. That's about it.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Reply to
phijee

Moron

Reply to
petejandrell

If the reservoir is full to the mark (as it should be) you will have an engine bay covered in brake fluid by the time you have the 2nd piston pushed back. Fit a bleed tube, open the bleed valve and expel the old fluid into a waste container.

Reduced volume behind retracted piston results in less mixing of old and new fluid. (Unless you have a new Jag) the life of pads is about the pad change interval, so now is the time to replace all the brake fluid. Bleed the brakes until new fluid comes out of all callipers/cylinders including the ones you didn't change pads/shoes on.

Don't use copper grease on any rubber bits - sliding pins usually have rubber bellows seals. Use Mintex Ceratec brake grease or older red rubber grease. Ceratec also replaces copper grease.

Reply to
Peter Hill

You do know this thread is nearly 8 year-old !

Reply to
Andy Cap

Says the person replying to an 8 year old thread.....

Reply to
Scott M