Choice of cars

I am planning to get my wife a second hand car she could use to go to work. She would like something small. Our budget is limited so I was thinking of getting a 1995-1997 car. The choice is narrowed to a car withan automatic gearbox anbd a 1.0-1.4 L engine. Amongst others we are considering:

1) Nisan Micra 2 Ford Fiesta 3) Opel Corsa Any suggestions, remarks etc. Which one would you go for?
Reply to
Agron

Agron ( snipped-for-privacy@iol.ie) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Small autos have a ridiculous price premium for what they are. Consider going up a size or compromising on the 'box (if you can). If the size is compromisable, bigger cars are far more common with an autobox, and FAR better value as they age.

Go for condition not age - even the newest of your dates is 8 years old, and a car can be very very shagged by that age.

IIRC the Fester auto is a CVT box, which have terrible reputations.

Reply to
Adrian

SEAT Ibiza either 5 years old model or newer one. 1.4s is brill and about

41mpg and power too. gp 4 ins and based on VW cars.
Reply to
DannyBoy

None of the above - they're all horrible if you ask me. I was loaned a Micra as a courtesy car once - I couldn't wait to get out of it and drove my 40-year old Austin in preference until I collected my own car again! I've never felt like that about any other car.

OTOH the Astra of the same vintage is available as a 1.4 auto and can be quite a nice car.

I never understand those who think a small car is easier to drive (most of them don't have PAS for example). My wife finds her Previa MPV far easier to drive than small hatchbacks.

Reply to
Chris Bolus