Mondeo Clutch and Brakes

Hi,

I've got a '97 Mondeo (58k miles), and I've noticed that the stiffness of the clutch pedal tends to vary quite a lot. I've not been monitoring it long enough to be certain, but I think it tends to get stiffer after it has been driven for a while. If it's left to stand (overnight, for example), it's back to normal. I belive that my model has a hydraulic clutch. The stiffness of the pedal is the same whether the engine is on or off. The actual gearshift doesn't get any more difficult. The clutch doesn't slip.

Secondly, there is a bit of brake judder when braking from high speed. There's no judder when braking from, say, 70mph until the car hits about

50mph, and then the judder shakes the whole car, not just the wheel or the brake pedal. Then after about 40mph, it goes away. Warped discs maybe? I would have thought that there would also be judder above 50mph though...

Any ideas on what might be causing the above? TIA for any advice anyone has,

Reply to
Chris McKeown

Chris,

My late-96 Ghia X had the same problem with the clutch as yours. Difference was that the clutch was initially 'stiff' after the car had been left standing overnight. Couple of presses later, and it was back to it's normal 'light' feel.

Solution was to bleed the entire hydraulic (brake) system, including the clutch.

HTH.

Regards

Reply to
Alan Dempster