Citroen C4 02 plate turbo

Hi all

Just curious

friend of ours just had turbo fail on above car

Cost of repair was £1700

Does this seem excessive?

what could be involved to make it cost this much?

Regards

Tony

Reply to
TMC

"TMC" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

02-plate C4? That's a very early prototype, since they weren't launched until 2004...

It wouldn't surprise me if a brand spankin' turbo from a main dealer was somewhere around a grand. Add on labour at a ton an hour if it's a main dealer in a lucrative part of the SE, then VAT, and it's easy to see how it'd get that high if they were daft enough to book it in to a main dealer.

OTOH, assuming the old turbo is in a fit state for rebuilding, and it was done at a smaller non-franchise garage, then I'd expect the bill to be about a third of that.

Reply to
Adrian

Was this a new turbo fitted by a main dealer?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

was an 04 plate and not done by a main dealer.

Tony

Reply to
TMC

I'm guessing at that price it was a new unit, rather than a recon.

Did your friend shop around for prices? Were any other parts needed?

1700UKP is top dollar for a non main dealer, but not outrageous. Such is the price of progress...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

also it might have hurled bits of turbo through the engine

Reply to
Mrcheerful

tony

Reply to
TMC

No, it's quite cheap.

Look at the bill, all the items and time taken will be itemised.

Reply to
IanT

Have you told your mate it was expensive and now need something to back up what you said ? It would be funny if you had and he approached the garage with your expert opinions found on a newsgroup!

Reply to
IanT

Why are you so concerned? If your friend has paid and his car is working what is the problem? It's not really for you to start shouting about the cost being excessive, then coming to a newsgroup to try and get someone to agree so you can go back to him. If you know nothing about how the engine and turbo works keep well out of it. Experienced mechanics will see right through you and many do pop in to this newsgroup! When a turbo fails it can go for a number of reasons and it can also take out and damage other engine components. Unless you have the main dealer book giving average times for jobs on the car I wouldn't get too involved or you will end up looking like a right idiot. If your friend is bothered then go and set up his news reader so he can come and ask directly and not through you. It's easier that way and he can say why he is bothered about the repairs. It saves passing information through you.

Reply to
IanT

"IanT" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

And on what basis are you guessing that?

Reply to
Adrian

You finished ????

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

You are not really very bright are you?

If you had taken the trouble to read my original post you would see that it started with 'just curious'. perhaps a check in the dictionary to see what this means would help you to understand

I do not see where I say the cost was excessive and I put nothing in capitals so cannot see where I was shouting

I use the group precisely because of the experienced mechanics who make sensible replies.

Perhaps you can give me the benefit of your knowledge concerning my friend setting up his news reader?

Which computer should he buy?

What service provider and package should he order for the internet?

Should he use windows mail for his newsgroup access or would you recommend direct browser access?

But then I am probably just feeding your irrationality by replying at all

Tony

Reply to
TMC

unfortunately you have fallen for the troll's baiting tactics. He/it is not a normal contributor and can safely be ignored.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

Stuck his finger up his arse and felt the wind. I suspect it's the Tiscali/albasani wanker again.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon