Citroen Saxo rear wheel bearings mismatch

I'm changing the rear brake drums and bearings on my Saxo (1.5D, late 1999 model [people keep asking is it Mk1 or Mk2 and I've no bloody idea], Bendix braking system, 4 stud wheels, 180mm diameter drums).

What I've been supplied with by Euro Car Parts to put on, is not identical to what's come off. What's been supplied is as per the Haynes manual - one single bearing unit per side about 2" long, and matching drum. What's come off is a pair of conical (if you get my drift) bearings per side, and matching drum. Other than the differing bearing seatings at the hub, the old and new drums seem to match. The new single-unit bearing does appear to fit snugly on the stub axle.

Is this OK? Should I go ahead and fit, or not?

As an aside, does 80,000 miles seem like a reasonable drum life?

Grateful for any useful advice.

Cheers, Nick

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Nick Dobb ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What's it look like?

Mk1 -

-
'99, it'd be Mk2, I reckon.

Reply to
Adrian

Er...I can't see any difference :-(

Various places e.g.

list both Mk1 and Mk2 for 1999 year of manufacture, so I guess that's the changeover year? Anyhow, it makes no difference to the question at hand because they list the same bearing part number regardless of whether you specify it as Mk1 or Mk2.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Nick Dobb ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Apart from the whole shape of the front end - headlights, grille... Mk1 has the indicators separate from the lights, and top edge follows through the top of the grille. Mk2 has much more rounded "fish-eyed" lights, a "smilier" grille, and the indicators are within the lights.

Reply to
Adrian

I can, the MK1 has squarer headlights, the MK2 has rounded headlights.

Reply to
werd

It strikes me that you still have to remove the outer race from the centre of the drum

Steve the grease

Reply to
R L driver

Plus it looks like for the Mk1 the logo remains between the headlights when the bonnet is up. On the Mk2 is looks as if the logo goes up with the bonnet.

Plus look at where the Citroen logo sits on the front. Mk1 it sits completely within the grille area. On Mk2 it extends above slightly.

David Hearn

...OK, it's a Mk1...

A visit to the Citroen dealer today revealed that not only does what I've been supplied match with the Haynes manual, it also matches with Citroen's own schematics, which show just one possible arrangement for the hub bearings, which is a single-piece sealed unit bearing.

Conclusion: some dodgy bodging c*cks*cker has fitted crappy old drums from a scrappy which have come off a much older AX, 106 or similar. Probably as a result of the rear brakes seizing at some point in the last couple of years - it was owned by some disabled old biddy since 2004 and has done about 4 miles since then. That or it's been clocked, just to add to my woes. :-(

Cheers guys.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Please let me know where you drive so I can make sure I'm not on the same road...

Reply to
Conor

Oh bollocks.

Reply to
Conor

I think it's not so much that my eyes can't see any difference as that my brain just can't be persuaded to engage on such utter cosmetic trivia.

Reply to
Nick Dobb