Grrr Brakes!!

Morning all,

I've had the discs changed on my '97 Mondeo this week. The last ones were put on in August last year because they were juddering like crazy.

Anyway, the judder has returned. Garage replaced discs and pads, said that there was a fair bit of rust on the hubs which they cleaned off before fitting new discs. They also said that the calipers were free and not sticking at all.

So I collected my car and have been gentle on the brakes to get them bedded in. This morning on the way to work, I had to brake at about 60mph. I didn't have to brake hard, but I felt a hint of judder between 55-45mph, the same speed that the judder appeared at before the discs were changed. In other words, the judder has been reduced, but not killed completely.

Obviously I'm taking it back to the garage to have them looked at once and for all, but can anyone shed any light on this? What else could be causing the brakes to judder on a brand new set of discs and pads?

Thanks,

Reply to
Chris M

Soft suspension bushes

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Indeed a possibility. The track control arm bushes are *always* the first thing to look at on the E34 BMWs too when the wheel wobble sets in.

JB

Reply to
JB

Reply to
WellBored.com

The message from "Chris M" contains these words:

Not having the hub (and of course the mating surface on the back of the disc) absolutely clean before assembly often means that the disc ain't seated exactly flat.

Reply to
Guy King

My first thought for brake judder would be possible contamination (oil etc) on the brake disc's, failing that, and as Duncan pointed out, it could also be down to suspension parts wearing. Also worth having checked out are the ABS sensors/system, make sure they are operating correctly, I had a Granada a couple of years ago that had overactive ABS (?!?!) which gave me a judder, but always braked in astraight line!

Mark S

Reply to
Mark S

When fitting new discs, especially after a problem with brake judder, it is essential that brake disc runout is checked and corrected before the brakes are used. This has almost certainly not been done, I do not know of any garages that do this check until there are repeat problems like this. So go back and ask for a runout check to be made and the problem fixed. This is not rocket science.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Worn or maladjusted front wheel bearing(s)?

Reply to
DocDelete

No. Well not unless you fitted them to something other than the brake caliper...

Reply to
Duncan Wood