Citroen ZX Swooshing/threshing noise

Citroen ZX has just developed over the last few adays a swooshing/threshing noise at times. Theres no change to performance or drive (still drives 100%) but has got a swooshing/threshing noise both on revving and at idle...any ideas what it could be?

Reply to
Sidmon

swooshing/threshing

alternator drive belts??

my dad recently complained of a noise like an air pump running, a kinda swoosh...swoosh...swoosh...swooosh, i went out and had a look, was the drive belts, varying the electrical load made the noise change every so slightly,

they'd just been replaced by mazda on it's 60k service, so it's prolly just this time of the year, especialy as he's driving about with the lights and heater blower on all the time and all that.

mind, your being a citroen could be other things.. dont most people blame any odd behavior or noise on the suspension system and warn you to expect a

5 grand bill to fix it :)
Reply to
CampinGazz

Fortunately these ones aint got the complex suspension so that can be ruled out thank god! I am thinking maybe water pump, or some kind of pulley (though it is making an odd noise for one of these and it doesnt look like anythings wrong. Hadgasket whistling (I bloody hope not, and no contamination in water/oil so hoping to rule this out) or Turbo whistling though its doing it on idle thats what making me think its a long shot to be that.

Reply to
Sidmon

Has it got power steering?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Yes it has got power steering......what are you thinking? Power Steering Pump?

Reply to
Sidmon

swooshing/threshing

Check it's not a shredding cam belt flaying around in the timing cover.

My J reg ZX started makingg exactly the same sort of noise. About 2 weeks later, the gearbox quit on me at 90mph on the M60 leaving me going uphill in the outside lane with no drive. Not pleasant at all... get it checked out. They have a reputation for unwinding the 5th gear and having it jam things up, which I think is what happened to mine. I don't care now, cos I sold it like that. PITA.

Mike

Reply to
Mike P in Brazil

Possibly - I used to drive a Merc van with pas and it made a hissing/wooshing/liquid sort of noise which got worse when you steered, obviously. I could stop the noise while it was stationary by *just* taking up the free play in the steering and it would start again when I released the wheel.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot