Clio cam belt broken.

Hello,

The cam belt broke today on my dad's (just in case you thought it was mine) 1.2

8Valve 1993 clio. I've only had one of these break before and that caused minor destruction to the cam shaft and a valve on my cortina. (but that was a long time ago).

Before I go and shoot the car for him, I was wondering if anyone has had experience of of what happens to a clio engine when the cam belt breaks and if it causes any additional damage. Also approx. cost of repair would be very useful as I've got one of those "take all my money" faces.

Thanks,

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect

this is a "bend things" engine I am sorry to say. However, it is always worth putting a new belt on and try to turn the engine over (with a spanner), if all is quiet and normal then try to start it, it will either run ok or not, probably not, but you are very unlikely to make it worse by starting it (if it turned over quietly by hand) If it sounds graunchy when turning by hand then don't try and start it, as you may find that a valve head has fallen off or similar disaster, which would do more damage if the engine is started.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks for the info...... It sounds like it's going to be a tremendous pain in the arse, but it's got to be done.

I might go and kick it a few times first just to feel better.

Thanks for the help,

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect

With that in mind, I went over to Halfords and got a new timing belt for £18.50 and a haines manual. I really hate clios. The haines manual tells you to remove the engine mounting brackets on the driver side because the timing belt is so near to the side of the car. This because it's got a goddamn E-type engine. Sometimes, you just have to wonder what was going through their minds, nothing probably. Anyway, that feels a bit better now.

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect