Clutch, fluid or master cylinder?

The clutch on our Multipla gets very crunchy after prolonged use and gets to the point where driving becomes a real pain in the arse. The clutch itself is approx 1yr old and the slave cylinder was changed just prior so I wonder if the master cylinder needs changing.

That said I wonder if the fluid needs changing as there is *very* jerky feedback from the brakes in the wet and if I understand correctly the clutch and brakes share the same fluid. Would a need to replace the fluid create the symptoms above?

In either case I would appreciate advice on replacing the fluid or changing the master cylinder.

Cheers,

Rick

Reply to
R D S

Usually the signs of brake fluid going off is brake fade being experienced earlier.

Reply to
Conor

When was the flui last changed ?

Usual recommended interval is 2 years.

Reply to
James

Fluid condition will not make any noticeable difference to clutch operation, it would work for a while at least with water in the system. Clutch and brake fluid should be changed every two years or so as it attracts water, effectively the fluid in the clutch circuit doesn't go anywhere and the fluid down at the slave cylinder must be quite fresh as you had a new one quite recently.

If the clutch is apparently not disengaging when hot then it means that either the clutch is not disengaging fully or the main shaft of the gearbox is being dragged along by the engine.

There is a slim chance of a ballooning flexible hose, possibly the release mechanism on/in the gearbox is stiff. Possibly the clutch itself is faulty, incorrect grease application during clutch fitting can give the same effect. if it uses one, the crankshaft spigot bearing may be at fault and drags the mainshaft with it (this was common on some fords) although many vehicles no longer have a spigot bearing.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"R D S" wrote

Hi Rick- do you know of the 2 Multipla owners forums? Very helpful bods there:

hth Neil

Reply to
Gripper

Thanks for that, i'll take a look but I have the feeling that there are too many forums in my life!

Reply to
R D S

Thanks for the above.

If it makes any difference the problem is notably worse on a hot day.

I am sure it is fluid compression related as it occasionally gets so bad that I can't get the car in gear unless I switch off the engine for a moment and then fire it back up again.

Reply to
R D S

then the first thing to try is to bleed some fresh fluid through, perhaps some air was left in from before?

Reply to
Mrcheerful