Cold running Vectra

Folks :- My girlfriends 1.8 vectra seems to run very cool with the temperature gauge barely getting up to 80 degrees at any time. The cooling system seems to work happily and the fan will cut in after a while. However it does use more petrol than I'd expect. I'm wondering if the thermostat is stuck open, would this explain the temperature and the petrol? I spoke to a mechanic who couldn't understand what I was complaining about, his view being if the car's working then why do you want to mess about with it. Thanks Kev

Reply to
Gerbil

Hiya, I have a 1.6L Astra and the temperature on that is just under 80 Degrees as well.

Reply to
Dattani, R (Ritesh)

Change your mechanic.

Change the thermostat- this is almost certainly responsible for the excess fuel consumption. In the long term you'll get engine wear as a result.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Hi! Thanks for the reply, however I'm on my third Astra and they all have run warmer than that. It may be worth your while (in terms of better fuel consumption), the next time the car is in the garage to get it checked out. Regards Kev

Reply to
Gerbil

Thanks for the reply and any recommendations for mechanics / garages in the North London area (ideally Tottenham, Edmonton or Enfield?) This is now a bit more urgent as the engine stalled a couple of times on the way home tonight. A bit strange given it's an automatic and I didn't think you could stall them. I am wondering if we're about to see the idle speed / control valve problem that's been reported here before.

Thanks

Kev

Reply to
Gerbil