Corroded brake pipes

I do hope you're changing the fluid at the same time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

wheel cylinder held in a metal vice. Problem was there's not much to get hold of on a w cyl, and I'm not very strong armed anyway, so I hit one side of it with a heavy hammer. I saw it move, so hit it some more, and it moved some more, but I just assumed it was turning in the vice.

amazement it turned. Thanks to Steve and Duncanwood for suggesting this.

The shop was shut though, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to put it all back. I only have one brake hose clamp, so I'll have to renew one side of pipe at a time.

the pistons out unless you fancy replacing the seals . If it is buy a new one.

Thanks.

Yes, I checked that. It wasn't leaking.

Reply to
Paul S

Yes, I will be. Through the unions at the back, unfortunately (as no bleed nipple access), so brake fluid all over the place probably.

Reply to
Paul S

Could you help me out by saying why there's no bleed nipple access? Not really much point in them if this is the case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave, The off side broke off (see earlier in the thread), and the near side is too poor a fit for even a deep socket to undo, and would probably break off anyway.

Reply to
Paul S

So there'll still be air in the system then?

Why can't you get to the bleed nipples?

Reply to
Conor

So change them. Chances are they're pretty worn anyway and unless you do, you're going to end up with air in the system.

Still, if you're happy taking risks with a safety critical system to save £30....

Reply to
Conor

Ah - I assumed you'd be fitting new wheel cylinders.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed. A nut splitter is no good for a bolt albeit with a central channel here misnamed as a nut. A stubborn bolt requires a stud/bolt remover, another difficult operation! Fortunately the issue is now resolved.

Reply to
Lin Chung

I've just road tested the car, and Conor was right, there's still air in the system. Does this one shot bleeding I've read about on here work for bleeding through pipe unions ?

I assume that when I opened the unions when bleeding with my Eezibleed kit, air gets in past the threads of the union, even though fluid is coming out.

I've just rung Halfords (only place open now) and the guy quoted me £5.77 for the Drivers side and £4.85 for the Passenger side. Surely, those prices can't be right can they ? GSF are £15.28 and the local shop quoted £16 approx (not sure which one, and I'd have to bring the old ones in first).

His computer said they had the passenger side in stock, but when he went to check, he couldn't find it. Said it must have been stolen !

I off to bed now, cos I'm knackered from doing this job.

Reply to
Paul S

Shouldn't do. squeeze the pistons all the way in on the cylinders & hold them there whilst you bleed to purge any air in there.

So long as they're the right cylinders then as far as you're concerned that's got to be the right price :-)

Reply to
Duncanwood