Corrosion in Laguna exhaust

I've just changed the silencer box on my 1.8 8V Renault Laguna. While I was under there I renewed the front pipe to intermediate pipe clamping ring, which is a U-shaped ring with a bar that compresses the front pipe onto the intermediate pipe inside it. A liquid more viscous than water(sulphuric acid?) used to drip from this joint after short runs. Is it possible that by 'fixing' this joint I may be retaining water, or worse, in the exhaust, thereby accelerating corrosion? Should I drill a small hole to allow it to drain away?

Also, I noticed that the box won't hang in the correct position by itself, and I needed to get someone to hold it while I tightened the joint with the intermediate pipe (two C-shaped half-rings that hold a flange to a ridge). Thus, once assembled there is a torsional load on the joint keeping the box in place. In fact, the corrosion failure happened near this joint, on the silencer side, meaning the box rotated on its hangers when the old box failed here. Is it normal for the box to be supported in this way, or have I put the rubber hangers on incorrectly? Could the corrosion be a form of stress-corrosion-cracking, where the exhaust pipe is under torsional load?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Kelleher

Mild steel exhausts rust. Get used to it. Holes in your exhaust will allow harmful gases out & the car would then not pass an mot.

Reply to
adder

The hole would probably crack open with the air pressure as well.

ss.

Reply to
Synapse Syndrome

The MOT doesn't test for leaks, only noise. And it has to be very noisy.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

I've got a huge hole that I can't sem to repair on my Espace. Tried gum, exhaust strapping, metal foil, they all just blow thorugh. What the hell is in that engine?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Want to bet? :-)

Reply to
adder

Yes - I just passed an MOT with a car with a salad strainer for a back-box...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Did it need an emissions test?

Reply to
adder

Unless it's very old, it will fail an emissions test with a significant exhaust leak.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, i have a 2 inch diameter hole in my exhaust. It passed.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Yes, it passed...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Then I can only assume that the tester was able to put the gas analyser upstream of your salad strainer.

Reply to
adder

He didn't - he put it in the legally-required place.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

How old was the car?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

1994
Reply to
Paul Cummins

Ok from the MoT testers handbook

Exhaust system will fail for... "a. a major leak of exhaust gases from any part of the system

Note: A minor exhaust leak from, for example, a connection joint or a pin hole, is not a reason for rejection"

If the exhaust fails for leaks then the emissions test is invalidated and has to be redone when the exhaust has been repaired.

I guess then that it's subjective as to what constitutes a "major leak".

Reply to
adder

The point I was making was a major leak effects the emission readings - regardless of whether the exhaust itself fails the MOT.

If it does pass the emissions test with a major leak, it's likely to fail those once that's been fixed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, i have a 2 inch diameter hole in my exhaust.

Don't tell me ... it is the hole in the end where the gas comes out?? :-)

The Sheriff

Reply to
The Sheriff

ARGH!!!!

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Peter Hucker wrote on Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:56:45 +0100:

[snip hideous, unreadable mess]

Is there any particular reason you need a thirty line sig?

Is there any particuar reason you needed to include of your two thirty line sigs (one quoted, one not) in that reply?

The horrible mix of top-posting and absolutely no trimming and then randomly inserting some text in the middle of the quotes is bad enough, but that sig?!?

Reply to
David Taylor