Corsa 1.6 Cam Belt

About to do one - any tips?

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

RTFM.

Reply to
SteveH

This will be the ecotec 16v we'll assume. In which case change the tensioner and idlers as well as the belt.

Buy the kit from AutoVaux which includes everything to bring it upto latest spec belt / tensioner etc etc for about 60quid.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Yep - kit is on way from Autovaux, and I'm doing the water pump at the same time ( it's only a few quid and is in effect another cam belt roller ) but having read the Haynes manual I am slightly concerned as to such areas as getting crank pulley off - do I need a puller? and should I try to get/use a cam locking tool?

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

I don't find a need for a puller, but the cam locking thing is an almost must have item, you will waste ages without one and they are only about 8 quid

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

If you've got an Aldi nearby this might be of some help:

I'm trying to persuade the missus just how useful an impact wrench will be :o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

I purchased a cam locking tool for my 1990 1.7 Astra, it fitted OK but had I used it I'm pretty certain that it would almost certainly have destroyed the engine - I read a warning somewhere about using these on vehicles manufactured after 1987.

I eventually wound up purchasing the correct DTI tool (which showed that the cam locking device was a long way out) and fingers crossed have not experienced any trouble in the last couple of years.

Reply to
Ivan

I think you will find that the OP has the twin cam engine, the problem is that the valve springs turn the cam shafts away from their intended positions as soon as the belt is off. The cam locking tool in this case is a chunk of metal that goes between the two cam wheels and stops them moving.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

To confirm it is an Ecotec 1.6 16V DOHC

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

It was just the mere mention of a cam locking tool. IIRC you helped me out with some advice at the time as I believe that you had experienced some grief yourself with a similar Astra engine.

Probably the best way to check is to align everything with the old working belt still in place, and see if the tool fits OK.

Reply to
Ivan

In this case the tool is to stop the camshafts moving, rather than actually positioning the camshafts (you do that bit)

Indeed I did have problems with an astra, that was on a diesel 1.7 astra, I used the pre-existing home made (slightly out) marks, the new belt meant that the marks still lined up, but gave the tiniest bit of advance, one good rev and valves and guides and followers started to break, that cost me several hundred.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

That's the one, mine is a 1.7 diesel as well, a good job that I marked the cambelt teeth, as when I fitted the cam tool the flywheel alignment mark showed about seven teeth out!

That's when I purchased the DTI a tool, which proved that my original Tipex markings were fine.

Reply to
Ivan

Job done yesterday - no hassle really is it, but I do recommend the locking tool, for eight quid it was money well spent.

That saved me =A3225 on Vauxhall's price!

Typical though - looking in the newsagents today and what do car mechanics have an article on - only Ecotec cam belt changes!

Reply to
IanDTurner