Corsa EPS failure

Hi

My partner's 1999 Corsa's EPS is failing, it is easy to turn left, but not right.

1) Is it more of a replace than repair job?

2) I understand the part would cost around =A3200 (?) plus labour. I am assuming it'd be a minimum of 1hr's labour too (?)

3) Anyway, by continuing to drive the car is there any risk of damage, or danger in driving the car with such a fault? (With money tight, EPS seems the least of concerns at the moment)

Of course we'll get some quotes from a few garages, but it's good to have some idea first.

TIA

sorca :)

Reply to
sorca

the fix is to change the whole column, it is about a 750 pounds job at a vauxhall dealer. it will not cause extra problems by continued use, but could be dangerous due to the different forces needed each way, especially under emergency braking. I have heard of repairs being available at non vauxhall dealers, but I don't know how good they are (about 300 pounds)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My partner's 1999 Corsa's EPS is failing, it is easy to turn left, but not right.

1) Is it more of a replace than repair job?

2) I understand the part would cost around £200 (?) plus labour. I am assuming it'd be a minimum of 1hr's labour too (?)

3) Anyway, by continuing to drive the car is there any risk of damage, or danger in driving the car with such a fault? (With money tight, EPS seems the least of concerns at the moment)

Of course we'll get some quotes from a few garages, but it's good to have some idea first.

Very very comon, even on new cars. Vx have been replacing some as part of a recall or automatically when servicing a car under warranty.

I've done 3 or 4 now, both under warranty (vx supplied) or non warranty. I use bba-reman- excellant firm.

See here:

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

i agree with Tim on bba-reman, we've used them a few times, very helpful & fast turn around, most recently had a fiat punto EPS unit from them, also a common failure on the fiats.

Reply to
reg

TIA

Thanks Mr Cheerful, Tim.., and reg for the replies :)

Forgot to mention that the EPS warning doesn't light up on the instrument panel when driving - why's that? :( It lights up with the pre start up checks, so the instrument panel bit works.

TIA :)

Reply to
sorca

That is normal, it seems it only indicates complete failure !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

oh, cheers, thanks again for your replies :)

sorca

Reply to
sorca