Dealer woes/ diesel oil query?

Having had enough of the local Citroen dealer with their lax attitude to customer service, it was time for a different dealer to service my leased Company van. So it went 16 miles away, which was a pain, but it gave me some exercise pedalling back. All went well, booked in for Tuesday, dropped it off Monday, told them I'll be back on Friday to fetch it, so no rush to get it serviced.Gave my mobile no. in case of any problems.

So, went back to fetch it, "yep, here's the key, no problems found etc" Thanks, see you again says I. Rather sooner than I expected - the key wouldnt go in the lock - not even 10mm. He came out, thinking I was an idiot not able to put a key in a lock.He couldnt either.He then pulled the handle, and the door was unlocked.Without the alarm on. A mechanic was called, after a quick poke, he said the lock is worn out, and the barrel has fallen apart. Apparently the monkey who had 'serviced' my van hadnt bothered to mention that a lock was damaged, and was not lockable from the outside. I wasnt happy at this point. Anyway the part was ordered, and I have to go back to get it fitted while I wait on Friday. Now I cannot see how a lock can suddenly fail - it was fine when I left it, and I suppose that it is possible that it failed during the service

- there is no visible marking to suggest an attempted break-in, so I presume this would be down to wear and tear(it is 3.5 years old).

Got back home, rather unhappy, and thought I'd check the service book - good job I did, as there was no stamp in it indicating a service.My boss wouldnt be happy if I take it back without the full service history.

Open the bonnet, it looks like nothing has been touched - thin coat of dust over everything, the oil filter has been changed, and there is a small bit of wet oil around the drain plug, but the oil is nearly black. Even on a diesel engine with 40k miles, new oil shouldnt be black after less than 20 miles should it? My confidence in Citroen dealers has not been enhanced, yet again.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I doubt it but I suppose it's possible. 3.5 years does sound a bit young though.

You'd be surprised, it goes black pretty quickly.

Reply to
Malc

"A.Lee" wrote

Oh yes it should. This is the bane of a dealers life, being accused of not changing a diesel engines oil. Some customers will remonstrate loudly and aggressively I would imagine. The dealer will know that the customer is a know it all prat if he does not accept that it has been changed but hopefully he will be more restrained and able to manage the customers anger. Now I know that this does not describe you, because you did the right thing and asked here first. If I was a garage, I would certainly welcome you as a customer with open arms because you want a job done right and don't jump in with feet and mouth first at a hint of something wrong.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The message from alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) contains these words:

Oh yes it will! (all together now - BEHIND YOU!)

Reply to
Guy King

Why does it go dirty so fast? I changed my car (petrol) oil 3 weeks ago, and it is still quite clear. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Diesel engines vary in the amount of carbon they allow into the oil. I must say that recent direct injection engines do remain clear for longer because they do not have so much carbon in suspension and clinging onto the block walls. However, I am on my second BMW 3.0 diesel and after changing the oil at about every 14000 miles the new oil is immediately black. Not as deeply black and dirty looking as older engines like my '84 Land Rover which actually blacks its oil completely within ten seconds of starting with a new oil. Not just black but the type of black that just does not wash off hands. Nothing to worry about though, that is just how they are. My Land Rover has done over 10,000 hours of work and probably about 25000 cold starts which, if your car averages 35mph is equivalent to 350,000 miles. Just change your oil as recommended with high detergent oil as specified and the engine will probably fail due to something other than lubrication related wear or the body will rot away first. Heck a shitty old Astra diesel run by a service company called here until recently which had covered over 250,000 miles with no engine issues. That engine is just as shitty as my old LR. I know. I used to own one of those as well.

Huw Huw

Reply to
Huw

The message from alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) contains these words:

'Cos diesels produce a lot of fine carbon particles. It's their one big failing (there's a can of worms for you!).

Reply to
Guy King

It might not be totally midnight in a mineshaft black, but my Focus is usually sufficiently black after an oil change to obscure the cross hatching on my dipstick.

Reply to
Chris Street

Yes, there is an amazing amount of soot produced by a diesel. Most of it is so fine it goes straight through the filter, but it's harmless provided the oil has enough detergent to keep it in suspension.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable