Derv megane - more specific...

Okay, we've moved beyond the recrimination stage. My mate's Megane ha not only lost its timing belt causing valve damage but apparently four valve guides are "cracked" too. Mr Mechanic has said they are not available from Renault, and he needs a new cylinder head at £1200.

This sounds odd, the car is a P reg Renault Megane 1.9D - I thought one of the most popular diesel engines around? He's phoning a main dealer in the morning to try for confirmation but has anyone got any nuggets to add here?

I'd've thought that at a push a good mechanic / machinist could avail himself of valve guide inserts of an appropriate size, not necessarily the allegedly unavailable ones from Renault.

I don't know much about this engine, so before I advise this guy to cross-examine Mr Mechanic I'd like to know more. Anyone?

Reply to
DocDelete

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@thehomeofnospam.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're thinking of the PSA 1.9D, a different lump completely to the Renault one. AFAIK, Renault didn't sell theirs to anybody.

Perhaps.

Surely a more cost-effective solution, though, would be to get a good used head? Or just scrap the car and move on in life.

Reply to
Adrian

Ring a couple of engineering companies, they often can supply vales and associated equipment wayyyy cheaper than main agents,

Dave baker from puma will probably know more!

Reply to
Tom Burton

You'd've thought so, like me. Apparently "I've phoned around my contacts mate, and I can't find a second hand one" was the answer.

Ahem.

I'm trying to help this guy get a good deal - he's aware he's into hundreds of pounds of expense. He's not well-heeled enough to swallow £1200 for a new head, nor is he well-heeled enough just to write off the car. You could argue that for, say, £900 he could get a good runabout. But for the sake of a few apt questions, and a little phoning around himself he may get this one fixed yet!

Reply to
DocDelete

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@thehomeofnospam.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Fair enough. I don't recall seeing many diseasel Renaults of that era around.

Like, say, a P-reg Megane diseasel? I can't imagine it's worth any more than that.

Mebbe time for a booze cruise to France? Find a scrappy, bring a head back

- don't forget that France is a country of diseasels as well as Renaults - together with a bootful of red for Xmas to offset the cost.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, I know that. But this is a guy (and his wife) who insist on going to a main dealer for tyres on a 12 year old car...

The Booze Cruise idea sounds good on its own merit - stuff the cylinder head.

Reply to
DocDelete

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@thehomeofnospam.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

More money than sense. Even if he doesn't have any money.

Reply to
Adrian

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@thehomeofnospam.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So how come he's at a clueless back-street-chimp for a snapped cambelt, then?

Reply to
Adrian

show the following :-

R01010 CYLINDER HEAD-COMPLETE MEGANE-1.9TD (F8Q ENGS) 300.00 exc VAT

You can also try

HTH

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

@ mail.com (""manx.exile \"@ mail.com") gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Didn't the OP say that it was a non-turbo?

Reply to
Adrian

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@nospamhotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So - shall we add "messy divorce" to the "Cambelt snapped - what's the worst possible damage?" list, then?

Reply to
Adrian

'cos the main dealer pissed him off with that whole "you didn't tell me I needed a new cambelt" malarchy. After that he decided enough was enough with main dealers. Unfortunately his new experience of ape man with spanner hasn't convinced him that the alternative is any better.

I hasten to add his missus is probably waving her finger at him now, "I told you to go back to Renault Birmingham but you wouldn't listen to me blah blah blah yadda yadda".

Reply to
DocDelete

The message from "DocDelete" contains these words:

Time to take three steps backwards, I think!

Reply to
Guy King

Damage? I doubt he'd complain ;-))

I'm just about to phone him to say...

Turbo head available for around £300 - though he has non-turbo. Car in good nick worth around £1400 on a good day. He must verify the non-availability of the valve guides himself. Possibly then make some calls around local breakers - then put Mr Lazy Ape in touch with a second-hand head (if he's lucky). Possibly find a light engineering firm that will help - then again put Mr I Can't Use A Phone in touch with them.

Over and out - not my prob anymore (never was really).

Cheers all, Ken.

Reply to
DocDelete

Try Exchange & Mart (avoiding the crooks!) or Find A Part.

These engines were also used in Volvos for a while (440 1.9td for example) they are very good (though a bit raucous with a turbo on full blow) and it's a great pity about your mate and his cambelt. There must be some scrap engines/heads about. France would be a good bet, the place is awash with Renault 1.9D atmos.

I have a mate with a 95M Renault 19 1.9RTdT with this engine. His has covered 128,000 miles without missing a beat. Cambelt changed every 50k (his has 5k oil changes and 10k services) it goes very well and offers mid forties fuel consumption.

Reply to
Doctor D

Isn't the difference just maybe larger valves? The compression is reduced in the piston crown and the manifold flanges will be the same.

Reply to
Conor

Friend of mine got rid of a P-reg Megane TDi recently, as part-ex, the garage gave him (you guessed it) £900 !

Reply to
Mark Hewitt