Diesel not starting properly

Hi all,

About a year ago, my Volvo V50 turbo-diesel started playing up with starting. It wouldn't always catch first time, and would sometimes take ages to start up. There didn't seem to be any pattern to it: hot or cold, waiting a few minutes after turning the ignition on or waiting only a few seconds, and so on. Battery was fine. Glow plugs fine. In the end I took it to a garage who suspected a leaking fuel filter housing, which they replaced. This seemed to cure the problem, but in the last week or so when it has started doing it again.

Is it possible that the fuel filter housing has started leaking again? Or perhaps when the housing was replaced last year something related to it got disturbed which inadvertently fixed the problem, and it's now gone wrong again?

Any ideas on what I could do to track down the problem next? Where else might be leaking air, and is there any way I can detect this?

If I took it to a main dealer, would they be able to use the diagnostics codes to make a more accurate judgement?

thanks,

dan.

Reply to
dent