diesel power plus

I'll wager the Citroen's handbook said you should never use additives...

Reply to
DervMan

Was told this week by a Citroen service guy that the new HDI engines should never have any diesel additives added. Always used in my old xantia 1.9 TD and allways went well. Does anyone know why and what damage it can cause.

Thanks JOHN

Reply to
Johnnie Scott

Because the petroleum companies already spend billions on making diesel as good as it needs to be, and if the additives were neccessary they would have been incorporated into the original product to start with.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Derv,

I have just had a quick look in my C5 book and can't see anything about additives.

But:

When Dad drove a 206 the dealer had a little sign saying that a bottle of fuel additive will be added to all diesel services (incl HDI) at a cost in addition to the costs quoted for the routine service.

I have spoken to my Cit dealer when in for warranty work, they were going to put some Millers into every diesel car at the service.

I'd say that as long as you use a good additive there will be no problems.

's moderator adds Millers to his Alfa JTD which has similar fuel injection to the HDI. He passed his MOT with amazing results from the gas test.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Cowell

Interesting!

I used to use diesel injector cleaner in all of my diesels, but not on the MOT tank of diesel, but on the one before. And it pretty much worked, too - inasmuch as it was quieter and had a better pick up, especially from very low engine speeds.

The Volkswagen I had for a few days specifically said not to use any form of additive, but of course that's not to say the dealer wouldn't (and charge you for it of course).

Reply to
DervMan

With significantly higher injection pressures they're probably worried about the additive having insuffecient lubricity if some prat adds it to an emty tank.

Reply to
DuncanWood

Derv,

Thats strange because VW make an additive to add to PD engines when they are running a bit rough. Its supposed to be good.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Cowell

Very strange. Doctor Diesel, of Diesel Car & 4 x 4, also reports of two "truths."

Reply to
DervMan

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "AstraVanMan" saying something like:

ULSD ring any bells?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Why do you think so many fuel lift pumps on the HDi fail? , its down to the lack of sulpher in the fuel, and the fuel companies have still not got the replacement lubrication right.

My HDi has 103K miles and the pump used to rumble in the mornings, but it doesnt do since I put millers in.

Role on biodiesel - more power more mpg and more lube!!!!!

Rob J

Reply to
Rob Jones

I was always under the impression that using biodiesel gave you *less* power and mpg.

Reply to
Rob

As a lift pumps hardly a stressed piece of kit one can't help but feel that's got more to do with s**te pump design.

Reply to
DuncanWood

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rob saying something like:

It seems to vary with the engine. I'm getting slightly less power and mpg (about 5% less) on pure biodiesel, but on a 70% bd 30% derv, you wouldn't notice the difference.

Others say they get slightly more power and mpg. There is a significant difference in the sound of the engine - it's much smoother on bd.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Out of interest, how often is it serviced?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan