Diff oil for BMW E36 LSD

What grade oil do BMW recommend for the LSD diff's in the E36 ? It's not in a BMW so I can't look in the manual :-)

Thanks

Reply to
Rushing7

Aaaargggh

I bet you stick your card in the ATM machine and enter your PIN number too....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

GL-4 75W-90 ?

Sorry if the link doesn't wrap.

"BMW recommends a GL-4 oil for it's gearboxes, and Redline MT-90 and MTL satisfy this requirement. Oil technology has come a long way and synthetics have proven themselves to be better than regular oils. Most auto enthusiasts and racers swear by the stuff, and Redline has solved 2nd gear grind in many many VW and BMW ownes' transmissions over the years. This topic has been discussed to death on the VW newsgroup many times in the past 6 years tha i know of and the vast majority of participants all say Redline cured their 2nd gear crunch among other things. It worked on both my VWs and also on my 89 325is, and while i don't believe in miracles, this stuff works great. It also cured a slight whine in my VW transaxle and eliminated my GTi's 3rd gear crunch when cold. 100,000 miles later the car still shifts better than ever and it's all due to the Redline MT-90 i put in it years ago.

Redline 75w-90 differential oil quieted down my BMW's groaning limited slip too.

Now if you use the wrong type of gear oil then yes you'll damage the synchros over time, but as long as it's GL-4 and not GL-5 no damage will occur."

Reply to
Johnny

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

Personal Identification PIN Number, please.

Reply to
Guy King

Thanks, I thought GL4 was the old specification and replaced by GL5 ?

Reply to
Rushing7

I know, but that way people know what I mean. At work we have loads of tla's and it grates everytime people do this.

Reply to
Rushing7

Dunno about that, but the E36 ain't no spring chicken :D

Both my car and the wife's (a Toyota and a Mazda) specify GL4 or GL5 as long as it's 75W-90.

Reply to
Johnny