Disc replacement half done - what now?

The first brake (on a KA) now has nice new shiny bits installed. Having gone through the learning curve, the second one ought to be quicker...

Except - I can't break the seal between disc and hub. I have put releasing oil round the centre spindle to try again in a few days. Looking at youtube it seems there is a two bolt pusher technique. Does this group have other tips?

Reply to
DavidR

Big hammer on the back of the disc.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, that. Never failed for me, even if you've had to drill the securing screw. Don't be shy with it.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The other, REALLY brutal, suggestion is to put it in gear, and get the disc spinning, then hit the brake...

Reply to
Adrian

OK I've tried the big hammer though I haven't reached my full hitting capacity. Maybe I should put some lock on the wheel to improve access. Somehow it doesn't feel right expecting all the remaining kit to accept sharp impacts.

Reply to
DavidR

You're doing damn well to put more force on the hub than hitting a pothole or sleeping policeman will do.

Reply to
Adrian

The aim is just to break the rust seal so hitting all around the rim with a lump hammer on the outside of the disk will also free it.

Reply to
alan_m

In the past I've had to put them in a real vice & wallop them with a 10lb sledge or angle grind a cross over the face. Fortunately I haven't seen a Cavalier CDi for over a decade.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Different things. The energy in a hammer blow can develop very high force impulses. It is fundamental to its operation.

Reply to
DavidR

Ever tried a bit of heat if you have a decent blowlamp?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not at all brutal! Less harmful than walloping the disc with a lump hammer to my mind. I used it to good effect when I couldn't get the (probably original) rear discs free on mine.

FWIW, I always understood to wallop the hub face of the disc. Either way, mass does more good than speed.

Reply to
Scott M

Works for most things when they're stuck. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)