Do MOT stations keep a copy of reasons for failure?

When you car fails an MOT and you get a list of the faults, does the MOT station keep a copy of this? What happens to these copes?

Reply to
George

Yes

What happens to these copes? I don't know. I think they have to kep them for 12 months, but don't quote me on that.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Yes, the MoT failure reasons are sent to the ministry for analysis, this can show trends nationally toward certain problems, it also highlights if that station always fails certain items.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Copies of both pass and fail are kept at the station for a minimum of

18 months.

Regards, Graham L

Graham

Are they just kept by the station, or are they actually sent to MO Transport? I cant imagine them paying people to key in data from thousands and thousands of MOT failure forms? Can you imagine how many MOT failure forms must be issued each week? The forms dont look like they could be read by a machine Would be rather an expensive exercise for not much benefit?

Also sometimes I have had failures just written on a bit of paper instead. I get the feeling this is to keep the quotas low for some reason, as they are only allowed to do so many tests, and have to have so many parking bays according to the volume of MOTs they do etc?

All the MOT stations are meant to be computerized soon, they are way behind schedule. Not sure how much longer it will be.

Reply to
George

About 100,000 forms a week, only 2% keyed in for analysis.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

The station keeps the copies. A register is returned to the ministry monthly showing each vehicle tested, pass/fail (inc cert number) and if a fail, very simply a tick in a column to show what it failed on. ie brakes, steering, emissions. They don't even look at them unless they are told to do a random analysis.

Indeed, but then questions get asked why they initial pass so many.....

LOL - Sometime never. :-))

Regards, Graham L

Graham

I've got a mot smart card wiv my photo on it, but thats it :O)

Reply to
George Spigot