Driveshaft

Anyone heard of a driveshaft snapping on a 1994 Nissan Primera 2.0 Auto?

No? Well, now you have. Mine's just snapped. Great.

Actually come to think of it, there was a kind of grinding type noise when I was turning... think it might have been left. thought it was just a rough brake or something.

Can anyone recommend a good yet cheap place to acquire one of these and associated gubbins from?

:-(

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Definately the driveshaft, and not the CV joint ?

Was there also a clicking when turning?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

There was no drive. Can't beliveve I didn't make that very clear. No, the driveshaft has snapped, but was precipitated by a grinding noise. I've got some pictures (sorry they are large):

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Try 'Recoprop' in Luton.

JB

Reply to
JB

Unless you shoved it in drive at 6000 rpm I reckon the CV joint OR the gearbox snapped the shaft! If I had to choose I would say your g/box is trucked.

Reply to
Fred

Hrm. Worrying if true. Over on alt.autos.nissan, a couple people have commented on the rust around that vibration dampener.

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Well as there's no dents in the shaft & the only things attached to it are the CV joint & the gearbox I too bet that they snapped it. However as they're not connected any more you can feel if they're stiff & that photo appears to have quite bad corrosion round the damper , which has probably got more to do with it.

Reply to
DuncanWood

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Simon Dean saying something like:

The rust in the broken shaft end is simply where the old crack had propagated over a period of time and water had got into it. It might have taken years for the initial crack (which could have been there since new) to propagate until the remaining cross section was unable to take the strain of normal driving. I wouldn't be too concerned about the gearbox, it's probably fine.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon