duel mass flywheel

thanks to all who helped with my clutch gearbox help problem. its now confirmed i have a broken clutch. the garage have told me as i have a duel mass flywheel i will have to have it replaced . when they do the clutch. the price they quote to supply the duel mass flywheel is =A3600, are they kidding me or is this a necessary replacement .seems steep to me .thanks in advance to any replies/ and please don't use this post to argue amongst yourselves as in my last post..

Reply to
rafdegaf

Yes it is a necessary replacement, more for precaution than anything=20 the same way a pulley and tensioner kit is pretty much a given with a=20 cambelt change. You can choose to just do the clutch but the flywheel=20 will probably need doing not much later.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Fraid so.. This is modern technology for you...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Dual surely?

A fair few experts have stopped telling the whole world "buy diesel" as petrols cheaper, petrol cars are (usually) cheaper and they don't suffer with this known and expensive problem - something to do with reducing the rattle of a diesel?

Reply to
Toommy

The flywheel will only need replacing if it's damaged - same as any other type. If it's the type of dual mass flywheel that can be dismantled by simple unbolting then the friction surface could be refaced by someone who knows what they're doing. By that I don't mean an average garage who will only replace things.

Reply to
Dave Baker

General reccomendation is to replace it, but not evryone does. If it fails it will vibrate like hell, and may break up causing gearbox damage, and of course, the box has to come back out to replace it.

It is sometimes possible to get a single-mass conversion, which is cheaper, but at the cost of some noise/vibration.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

DMF reduce the rocking of a diesel.=20

Petrol is cheaper by around 15% in the UK but I have never failed to=20 get at least double that as an improvement in MPG in a diesel car so=20 per mile, it still works out cheaper for fuel.

Maintenance: It's about on par. What you gain with the cheaper=20 servicing, you lose with the additional =A3300 for the clutch change if=20 you keep it that long.

Buying from new, it takes a few years to recoup the additional initial=20 purchase price of a diesel unless you're doing high mileage.

Modern DMF engined desel is worth it if you buy a second hand company=20 motor with some miles on that's had its DMF changed.

For me, doing a 300 mile a week commute, I save around =A3500 a year=20 based on this weeks prices. My car didn't cost =A3500 more than its=20 petrol equivalent when I bought it otherwise the whole exercise is=20 pointless.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Conor gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How about the likelihood of common-rail injection related issues as the car ages? Much, much more complex than petrol injection.

Oh, then there's DPF problems.

Reply to
Adrian

I'm sure some of the Audi petrol engines have DMF - they also give trouble....

I think one main reason for the DMF is that manufacturers can build lighter weight and cheaper gearboxes, the DMF reduces peak torque spikes (from the firing impulses) and hence the GB gets an easier time.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Not really. Change injector, hook ECU up to computer and pop in the=20 numbers. Complex? Not really. Expensive? For an injector change, yes.

DPF? What's that? Not up to speed on all this modern stuff.

Don't dispute any of it but you've got coil packs and CATs etc on the=20 petrols and on Mondeos, because of the spark plug gaps, you are=20 replacing plug leads every 40k without fail at =A340+ per time. There's=20 no real advantage to either in respect to maintenance as both have=20 their shortfalls.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

£600 is about right but you don't need to change the flywheel if the one you have is fine, it seems to be one of those "if we don't change it and something happens we will get it in the neck" things. When I had my clutch replaced they examined the DMF and said it was fine (I'd have swapped for a SMF had it needed a new one as it's got a higher torque rating with an appropriate clutch than is available for the stock DMFs) since then I've put more miles on it with the new clutch than it had when the first one packed in.
Reply to
Depresion

Just ditch it, it's just an un needed restriction.

Reply to
Depresion

Indeed, VW and audi do a single mass conventional replacement for most of their common-or-garden engines- mostly the 3 , 4 and 5 bangers.

With Fords- you can often fit the commercial single mass flywheel eg from the tranny or connect to your mondeo / focus etc, and appropriate pressure plate & cover.

There are ways around it for the informed owner / mechanic.

DPF's - prepare to get royally fisted!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

AIUI, popular with Octavia taxicabs.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That's handy to know Tim. Got a feeling that at the mileage mine is, it's already been changed though.

Reply to
Conor

I can't beleive I am the only one to mention this.

A DUEL is a battle between opposing sides as with swords or pistols at dawn.

While I'm at it. Break means to break something in two.

BRAKE means to stop something moving.

Mark - meaning little as far as I can tell :-)

Reply to
Mark

Or cream puffs at teatime!

Or a pause or respite!

Or bracken, ferns or an area of overgrown woodland - plus several others!

A spot, dent or even the the 'mark' of ignorant person - such as someone whose sole response to the problem was to 'nitpick' the use of the English language - what a prat!

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever